Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angle drive
Hi all. Does anyone have a spare angle drive for a sppedo. If so can they bring it to the Agm on Sunday, if you are going that is. Do i need one for the mot.
Dan. The tree man
Not here for a long time. Just here for a good time
Live up to all you know. Nothing more. Nothing less
DOC 219
vin. 4986
Eleanor
As far as I know, a working speedo is not an MOT point - Flopsy went through at least 2 MOT's with a busted angle drive Smile
Not sure if we've got a spare one, will find out later on and let you know Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Speedo isn't part of the MOT Dan - so you should be OK on that count.

Angle drives are on back order everywhere - all vendors source from Houston.

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:Angle drives are on back order everywhere - all vendors source from Houston.

Darren

Yes tell me about it.... 12 weeks and counting .... :roll:

They are being re designed ...again .
Thanks guys. i wasn' sure about that one. I'll book her in for mot then. It's due on the 11th.
Dan. The tree man
DOC 219
vin. 4986
Eleanor
Dan,

we have got one.......... somewhere (currently surrounded by hundreds of randomly scattered boxes Sad )

Although it does need free-ing up as its jammed.

Phill said when he gets a chance, he'll dig it out and see if he can get it freed up for you.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Ok I need to ask this question, and I quite appreciate that I am probably missing something here but...

Why is the DeLorean angle drive so special? Don't all cars on the road have them? - is there not a parts cross-reference? Or is there something totally unique about it?

I'm sure that when the car was being designed they had far bigger problems to contend with than getting a cable from the front wheels to the speedometer, so why could they not have used a Jaguar or Ford angle drive for example?

Please don't all shoot me at once :-)
Simon Brewer,
DOC Member #517
VIN #4748
frostrobo Wrote:Ok I need to ask this question, and I quite appreciate that I am probably missing something here but...

Why is the DeLorean angle drive so special? Don't all cars on the road have them? - is there not a parts cross-reference? Or is there something totally unique about it?

I'm sure that when the car was being designed they had far bigger problems to contend with than getting a cable from the front wheels to the speedometer, so why could they not have used a Jaguar or Ford angle drive for example?

Please don't all shoot me at once :-)

Most cars of that era, used a cable driven speedo, driven from the gearbox. I dont know of any others off the top of my head that are driven from the front wheel like a DeLorean, Maybe Lotus's were??? I'm sure someone who knows will correct me on this :wink: And most cars did not use an angle drive at all, just plugged the cable into the gearbox.
Hope this helps a bit.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
From a design standpoint they're a bit wierd - 8 turns of the wheel to 9 turns of the cable. I know Speedograph did have some left over but sold them to the yanks long ago and wanted a lot to remanufacture them in small quantities

The actual 8:9 ratio AND the direction of o/p rotation is what causes the problem. You can't do that in a single stage with normal gears which'll take plenty of torque - it can only be done with what are called screw gears. Look up any gear manufacturer's catalogue and they'll all state "low torque applications only, very susceptible to contamination" or words to this effect.

It could be done with a little gearbox and a pair of bevel gears doing the 90-degree bit, but that'd be £££ to replace a part that's relatively cheap and easy to replace. I'd be happy to just replace mine every couple of years....

...if they had any.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Ah I see now! Thanks for clearing that up!
Simon Brewer,
DOC Member #517
VIN #4748
As far as I know the Volkswagen Beetle takes the speedo cable from the front wheel, an was also prone to it snapping.

Greese, greese and more greese is recommended to extend the angle drive life.

When I enquired about three years ago, speedograph said they would make me a new unit from scratch for £80+vat
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
volvo 300's also have a front wheel driven speedo.
Life begins at 90 degrees....
Volvo 300 eeh. I'll go take a look when it stops raining.
Dan. The tree man
DOC 219
vin. 4986
Eleanor