Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ebay cars for sale ( HPI THEM FIRST )
hi all Cry Cry

were do i start on this subject

we went and bought a car from ebay about four months ago thinking everythink was ok the old man we got the car off was selling it for this son as he as away at work so all went well today at 5am we had two big balifs round our house saying that the car belongs to them well me & sam looked at each other and sid err naaa i think your wroung we bro Cry bought this second hand & they said back the owner before you had a loan put againt this car with this logbook then never paid the loan back but made a secound log book and then sold the car onto you so we had to give over nealy £1,700 to get rid off them to then find out from to great friends in the club claire & phill they are not even aloud to ask for the money or take the car so we called the police and they are know dealing with it

so today the lession is

if your going to buy a second hand car :evil: hpi :roll: it or ring claire Big Grin
Surely the bailifs should make the previous owner cough up the money as it was his loan he didnt pay back. If you pay it then hes actually 1700 quid up!
VIN: 6511
Im really sorry to hear that Glen Sad I Hope you manage to get your money back soon.

I know its too late in the day matey but i use these people when buying cars privately. I believe there is a link on ebay to them as well.

http://www.vehiclestatusreport.co.uk/

Which uses 'HPI' information .
Dan1986 Wrote:Surely the bailifs should make the previous owner cough up the money as it was his loan he didnt pay back. If you pay it then hes actually 1700 quid up!

I believe sometimes the car is used as a form of 'security' against the loan as could be in this case. so if this is the case the car belongs to the loan company until this is paid off

Whatever way, the loan company wanted the car back to sell on (or the cash), so when two 'thugs' come knocking at your door at 5 am, its an effective way of getting it back.
Sorry to hear that Glen; If they are bailiffs and they got the money from you then you should have that as a receipt? The bailiffs must be employed by the loan company who the previous owners owed the money to and so that combined with the fact the previous owners sold you the car fraudulently means you have the evidence to lay down to the police ... thus in theory you should be able to prosecute the previous owners and get your money back..... I imagine it will be a lengthy process but it's in your favour. :wink:

Hope things turn out ok matey.
Chris Reynolds
www.deloreanhire.com
Did you pay by credit card Glen ?
The Consumer Credit Act 1974 cover's this sort of thing, but if you've ever seen it, it makes War & Peace look like a Mr Men book Sad

Basically, the loan was 'secured' on the car (like a mortgage is secured on your house), but if the initial loan was under £25k, then the hirer is protected by the CCA. So therefore, once you have paid more then 1/3rd of the Total Amount Payable (ie deposit, all payments and interest), then they cannot repossess the car without a Court Order - and you can ask for the order to be held back if you wish.

At the end of the day, if you sell a car that is on finance before you have paid every last penny on the HP agreement, then you are committing an act of theft as you are selling something that is not yours to sell. Any car on HP is the property of the finance company until they confirm in writing that it has been paid off in full.

As always, Caveat Emptor applies. Glen, hope you guys get it sorted ok, and we'll seeya tomorrow Smile

(PS, hope your muscles are up to scratch Glen, we've got a serious amount of stuff to shift! Shock - mind you, I've blagged a LWB Sprinter 311CDi for the weekend, so should make the job easier Smile )
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Good advice to HPI any ebay car. In March 2005, I bought a Peugeot 205 Cabriolet off ebay. Well actually, it was listed on ebay, but I took the seller to one side, and made him a cash offer which he accepted. I had the car for about 6 months, in which time I had kitted it out with a new hood, new alloys and tyres etc etc etc. When I first started to save for the DeLorean, this was one of the first things to go, but because the summer had ended, and chances of selling a cabriolet in october were slim, I decided to stick it in the auctions through my employer, who already had a few bangers to go on the transporter anyway. I had a reserve on it which was met, but auction policy is to notify the new buyer the results of a HPI check. It turns out that this car was a catagory C write off, which means that the car was probably bought back off an insurance company, and put back on the road. It could have been stolen/recovered, slashed hood, malicious damage, that i'll never know. The buyer decided to 'chip' the price, which fell below the resereve, so it went through the ring again and again, of course the auctioneer had to declare it was a Catagory C on every lot. Sad After a week, I decided to have the car back (Relieved of a gearknob, valve caps, radio face, and sunstrip - Theiving Baskets!) I sold the car off for my reserve price privately to someone in the motor trade, but kept the Cat C information to myself on that occasion. Although I felt bad doing that, I felt that I had been tucked up, and 5 months, New hood, new wheels and tyres later, I believe they had a better buy than I did!

Was a lovely car really, and i'd have kept it if it wasn't for the D!

All my Ex Mrs done was complain about it anyway......

What us blokes do to save an earache eh? LOL

Ben
hi all

as claire know what happend yes its a big hole in my bank at the moment but the police are know sorting it out for me as claire did advsie me when she got he info about my car

it juts shows you that this can happen to anyone but know it happend to a club member that anyone does what i never done the big HPI check im going up to claire tomorrow passing were i got it from so a little under cover will take palce to see if they are there as from what the police told us tonight they not evan on the voteing list there :twisted:

off to bed :wink:
Happened to my neighbour a few weeks a go, bought a Focus diesel, for running backwards and forwards to work, asked his mate at our local Ford dealer to service it. He put the VIN into the computer to get the correct bits, and the car came up as a Transit Shock
Fortunatly he got all his money back on it (private sale) we went round mob handed!! needless to say he hpi'd the next one!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
How much is a HPi check now? I bought a Yaris not long ago from a dealership... just want to give it a check for a peace of mind
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
£25.00
With the link above through eBay a HPI check is only £6.99 not that thats going to help you now Glen Sad

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... vrm_d=Y*** ***
Outatime Wrote:How much is a HPi check now? I bought a Yaris not long ago from a dealership... just want to give it a check for a peace of mind

Motor dealers (like every one I've ever worked in) should HPI cars automatically and they should show you a copy of it if you request it.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
hi
Cat C is repairable but not within the value of the car.

Cad D is repairable but less than the value of the car to repair.

Cat C cars require a VIC test now, and it is noted on the logbook.

Cat D cars are not noted on the log book.

i have a Cat D BMW, which i bought damaged and repaired.
i will re-sell and declare its history (minor rear bump)

in essence the price they use is with a dealer repair shop and new parts.

ie one alloy was damaged, (£600 off BMW), but bought a set of new shap 7 series with tyres for £220 thru tade contacts.

always see the log book before buying.

if private make sure the person is always on this, not he bought it changed his mind and now re-selling...he is a trader.

some places only £5 for hpi, and one or two £2-3 by text message.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370