Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone got experience of fitting power steering?
Hi all,

I've been given a scrap Cavalier 2.0GLi, which amongst having nice things like leccy windows and mirrors and a nice velour interior (which I'm gonna fit in my 1.6L), it also has power steering.

I'm hoping to remove the rack, pump, and ancilliary items, but the GLi has a different lower pulley to run the belt for the PAS.

My Cav, being a 1.6, does not have this belt - I've been told that the early 1.6's like mine were never designed to have PAS fitted hence why they have a different lower pulley.

AFAIK, all the 4cyl Vauxhalls had pretty much the same engine blocks - I've compared the engine castings and mine has the same mounting points for the PAS system as the 2.0. So, do you think it will just be a case of changing the pulley (along with all the other bits) to fit PAS to my car?

This also kinda got me thinking about PAS in the DeLorean, because obviously the RWD/Rear Engine set up would not facilitate this sort of PAS set up.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Cheers!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Sonds feasible, but prolly cheaper just to buy another cav that already has it....
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
stunned_monkey Wrote:Sonds feasible, but prolly cheaper just to buy another cav that already has it....

well yes, that would normally be the most sensible option, but the one I've got is reliable, low mileage (just turned 76000), and after 6years I know the car really well. I dont really want to get rid of it, because it works, and I could end up buying a right old dog knowing my luck Sad Plus also I'd hate to see some oiky little Chav get his hands on Guinney and trash her :lol:

The GLi is a freebie from a family friend (185000 miles on clock) and as its got PAS already it seemed a shame to waste it.
If you have the bits and it looks like it will fit what have you got to lose, i say go for it Smile

..oh and time to do it Smile......
cheers Mike, that was my thoughts entirely.

Btw - the new avatar - is that your "at weekends I'm known as Mandy" look? :lol:

Seeya at the NEC next week,

Claire
Claire Usher Wrote:cheers Mike, that was my thoughts entirely.

Btw - the new avatar - is that your "at weekends I'm known as Mandy" look? :lol:

Claire

I met a Mandy in hornsea too Mike when I was at yours saturday night drinking, hang on, oh no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NicolaT
(oops)
Claire Usher Wrote:cheers Mike, that was my thoughts entirely.

Claire

No obviously im 'Michelle' Smile

..I will change back into my weekday clothes later, i was just checking the Avatar function of the forum earlier :lol:

Either way i look really hot :wink:
Power steering >>>>>Transvestism in one thread

Who would have thought that ........
sorted
DOC 527
Vin #10264