The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Fuel gauge is pointing down no matter what
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Another new recent problem, my fuel gauge is pointing down no matter what.
So far I've done the following:-

I've used the multi-meter to verify that the signal from the green/black wire (for the gauge needle) beeps at the plug for the sender as it does on corresponding pin (A4) on the big white connector behind the binnacle.  I then kept the multi-meter on the same sender end of the harness and tested each other pin of the binnacle connector expecting to hear another beep from another wire to indicate a short, but there were no other beeps.

I then performed the same test for the light green and orange wire (for the sender light) in the same way to the above, only to find the same outcome.

I'm pleased that there appears to be no short but stumped as to why my gauge is all of a sudden pointing south.  The other gauges are all still running perfectly.

Any input or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Chris
I don't understand the technicalities at all Chris.....but when mine developed a fault, about a year ago, we removed the sender and cleaned it up a bit and it been fine since. Not much of a job to try it.
Would there be a chance that whilst fitting a new pump something has been re-fitted so that its keeping the float pressed down? or been damaged during pump work?
Chris
What I would do (tell me if I’m out of line here because I’m not yet an owner) is to take the float mechanism out of the tank and try manually moving the float to see if it affects the gauge..... 2 man job of course. (And gently does it)
And I guess if the fuel pump is part and parcel of this, then my idea sucks, unless you can disconnect the pump.

Same thinking as Chris in terms of something jamming the float down, at least if this works you can be sure the float mech is operational.
[Image: hMLyimoqodSVVjy6xLXj0a6QnAtoxhFhMz5GgQ7m...ntcZI=w200]

Through the testing (as per the video I've just uploaded via the thumbnail above) I was able to confirm the issue wasn't the wiring or sender....

I hope this helps anyone else in the same scenario!
Excellent Video Chris....even I could understand it! Smile
Top stuff, but why does your tacho needle go all the way around?
Chris
Great video Chris, thanks for sharing.

Tris
Great spot Chris, I'd noticed that too since [Image: UG2CcMXwHeQgAygbeH6npsie_e-GmMsBFUNR7p2n...avKdU=w200] the conversion.  I now have a much more powerful Bosch 044 fuel pump which is overkill for a stock car.  Whether you start the car straight away or wait a few seconds for the new pump to prime makes no difference to the cranking or starting.  From memory, I think any DeLorean 'remembers' the last tacho reading from when the ignition was last on.  When you turn on the ignition circuit, the tacho then resets back to zero which again I think is the same from stock.  If I wait now for it to prime before turning the key to crank (not that you have to) then the needle flicks to a much higher reading before then moving to the correct start up revs and from there it continues to read accurately.

In summary, some gauges 'remember' their last readings when the ignition is off and it looks like I've added another quirk into the mix Smile
Quote: From memory, I think any DeLorean 'remembers' the last tacho reading from when the ignition was last on.  When you turn on the ignition circuit, the tacho then resets back to zero which again I think is the same from stock.
Cant argue with that, it was how yours jumped all the way around to the top that was a surprise, I had never seen that before. Must be all that extra power your packing and the cars getting itself ready for it.  ;-)
Looks a superb conversion BTW
Chris