The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Wanted: Dead Delorean
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hi, I'm looking for a dead Delorean,

I'm not bothered about engine, or interior, or body damage.

Maybe someone has one lying around thats been used as a parts car?

Cheers

Rob
I think you will be lucky to find a cheap one.

They are worth a lot just for bits....Chassis £1000?, Bonnet, £1000? Underbody £1000+? Doors £500 each?, Etc Etc. and on it goes.
Quote:Hi, I'm looking for a dead Delorean,

I'm not bothered about engine, or interior, or body damage.

Maybe someone has one lying around thats been used as a parts car?

Cheers

Rob
Sorry but this is very doubtfull to be found in the UK, best bet is to look on Ebay.com and have it shipped over. Even cars like this: http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981 ... c-1539.htm (being shipped to the UK at the moment) are making good money in the US now and this one needs a LOT of work to it.
However cars do turn up out of the woodwork in the UK so you never know.

Chris
I'm not too bothered about the condition, it can be battered as anything, crash or fire damaged,

even a car that isnt complete would be ok, I dont mind putting on wrecked body panels that other people deem too far gone just to get it road worthy.

I just thought I'd put a thread up incase there are any about.

If anyone comes across anything either in the UK or US, if you could let me know, that would be brilliant. Smile

Cheers

Rob
To give you an idea the last one to come up that needed the kind of work your looking to do was in 2011
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Delorean-DMC- ... 013wt_1141
Though the pictures are long gone IIRC this is the one:
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Sold for £3100

Chris
Chris Williams Wrote:Even cars like this: http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981 ... c-1539.htm (being shipped to the UK at the moment)
Who bought that chunk of crap? Smile
Quote:Chris Williams wrote:

Even cars like this: http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981 ... c-1539.htm (being shipped to the UK at the moment)

Who bought that chunk of crap?
It is on it's way back to the Uk at the moment, The buyer is a club member (Kent IIRC) and knows he has purchased a serious restoration project but he is very capable of getting the car back to how it should be. Yes it does need a lot of work but I'm sure it will be done very well, I'm sure he will make himself known when he starts to need the bits that are missing. And, no I dont know what's been paid for it.
Chris
Chris Williams Wrote:To give you an idea the last one to come up that needed the kind of work your looking to do was in 2011
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Delorean-DMC- ... 013wt_1141
Though the pictures are long gone IIRC this is the one:
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Sold for £3100

Chris

£3100 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats more then I paid for my car in 2002 !!!!!! Shock Shock Shock Shock Shock
Hey Rob,

Good luck with the search, my only reservation would be the financial aspect. From reading your posts you make it clear your happy to get stuck in no matter what the condition of the car which is great. However whilst a great deal can be done to reduce the cost of a renovation by tackling all apsects yourself, many parts will simply have to come from a pucker Delorean source and the cost of said parts will soon start adding up. The investment/return point is soon passed and the bargain resto ends up costing you significantly more. Trust me i'm restoring a Bricklin right now and it makes no financial sense!

Whilst it might seem sense to buy the worst car you can as you can 'fix it' in the not so long run this maybe a false economy both financially but also with down time i.e. the amount of time you have a demanding hulk in the garage instead of a usable car on the driveway.

Simon
Very true, as Simon says, even doing the spannering yourself, it soon mounts up due to the high price of bespoke parts and limited second-hand availability. There's plenty of parts equivalents for the everyday service stuff however, but chasing about for these adds to the time. If you can straighten bent panels etc yourself, then a. you will save yourself a lot of money and b. you could find yourself getting plenty of work from other members on here!!
Hi guys, thanks for the responses,

Yeah i can fabricate parts, panels, i can weld, panel beat, build engines, basically everything to do with cars i can sort myself, I've never ever taken a car to a garage apart from the MOTs.

I'd rather get a project, I'm not bothered about down time, or end cost, I just want to build the car up myself, to then keep untill i die. Smile

If anyone is stuck regarding parts, I can manufacture, suspension arms, brackets, fibreglass parts, etc and i'm happy to help out you guys Big Grin
Heres a couple of photos of a past project...

the ghia when i first got it,

[Image: 346_91368260645_399_n.jpg]

and the same car 3 months later...

[Image: 368_95152485645_3668_n.jpg]
3 months?! You don't p* about do you? Shock !!
Yup Big Grin

I used it as my daily, raced it, eventually put a 2.0L Golf GTi Motor in it, crashed it a couple of times racing, then it got rear ended out side my house (twisted the body and ripped the body off the chassis).... so its now off the road, stripped right down to bare metal while I beat it back into shape.
I originally found the car in a scrap yard, well there were two of them which I paid £800 for ( I say scrap yard, but its full of porsches, Ferraris, lotus', etc - there was a wrecked F40 sat next to the ghia, lol)
my kinda scrap yard!! lol

I've always wondered if Desert Valley Auto Parts near Las Vegas would have a DeLorean - often watch
Desert Car Kings on Discovery Turbo, they've got thousands of dead cars, including European stuff,
I've spotted a Ford 100E (101E in the States) on the programe a few times.

I was drooling over the 1950 Studebaker 'bullet nose' they did once, that was a proper basket case.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7