The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Time Machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Ok, let me throw another idea out there (and I'll need swift responses for this to work to get that car!):

I'm looking at having kids in the next 2 years. I clearly will be skint for life at this point as will need a larger house, and ALL the usual bits you need for children. I was thinking, perhaps I should take a large loan and get the car myself and enjoy it for a few years, then look at selling the car to an enthusiast here in the UK. Would it get snapped up? I can't imagine it hanging around, but if I have a lot of interest or perhaps someone who would almost guarantee that they would save and take over the car in a year or two whenever I decide to settle down, I may just go ahead!!

Thoughts?
Luke,

You are a dreamer and a time waster.

If you want the car, then go buy it.

Don't involve anyone else, with guarantees of buying it off you just because you want kids in 2 years. It's just ridiculous.

With your petulant, naive, enthusiasm you should do a deal with Steve bttf car, you'd make a perfect pair. :lol:
Wow, that's some friendlyness for you :roll:

I CAN afford this car but only with someone to share the passion. You may think it's ridiculous, but that's your opinion that you have made very clear throughout this entire thread. Many people would disagree with you also Darren..

Also, when the time comes to settle down, I will still be able to afford the car with joint ownership, I have carefully calculated costs such as my mortgage going down this December and numerous other costs that I refuse to post publically. To own myself wouldn't be justifiable in a few years, hence this idea.

Please show a little respect as I have done so with others
I'm known for speaking my mind.
It's not meant to offend you, it's just my opinion.

Luke face the facts, you cant say you can afford the car, then say only if someone goes halves with you. It's a big joke, and you are looking foolish.

If you were serious you'd have bought it already and be posting a thread on here to say look at my new car.
Darren C Wrote:I'm known for speaking my mind.
It's not meant to offend you, it's just my opinion.

Luke face the facts, you cant say you can afford the car, then say only if someone goes halves with you. It's a big joke, and you are looking foolish.

If you were serious you'd have bought it already and be posting a thread on here to say look at my new car.

I completely disagree, and I'm not quite sure how someone can look foolish for asking some valid questions. Perhaps you think it's 'foolish' because you have enough money to not even take the time to look at your bank balance each week. Good for you, congratulations...but for some, this is a perfectly viable way of owning a piece of movie history and it HAS and DOES work if genuine people are involved.

I can see that you are quite rude and arrogant, and most will join forums to discuss options and make the best of what we have, not publically try humiliate people. Let's just leave it there please..
No just older and wiser.

Take that fire in your belly and use it to make your own destiny, dont rely on others.
Darren C Wrote:No just older and wiser.

Take that fire in your belly and use it to make your own destiny, dont rely on others.

Probably very true....infact, no..definitely true. But you only live once, and if I only have a few hundred pounds a month spare after running a time machine, that's absolutely fine by me and I can think of worse ways to live!

I'll try my best. I have a good friend who is perhaps interested in this who works on mid engined sports cars. Perhaps a good idea with Delorean ownership :wink:
Ok, so I haven't put anything towards this, but have been watching with binoculars from afar.

Darren, I think I mostly agree.

Chris, I think you also have a point.

Luke, I think fundamentally this has come to you as somewhat of a whim. I think you're trying to juggle too many things all at once, and you're panicking a little, because you want to do it all, and all within close proximity to one another. You're getting married, you're buying a house, you're having kids....AND, you're trying to realise a "dream".

My question is: How long have you had this dream?

To put it into perspective, your dream is NOT a cheap venture. It is, by all intents and purposes, a car, an additional car, an additional EXPENSIVE car. It has all the requirements of a "normal car" PLUS the additional considerations of a serious, and time/money consuming rich boys/girls hobby. It's not too unlike owning, a horse! It's not something you suddenly decide to get into at the last minute just because one has suddenly appeared for sale on Ebay.
I wanted my car, since I was 12. I started, all be it in a much smaller way when I was younger compared to being older, putting money away. I sacrificed etc to do it. BUT, I still sacrificed my dream longer than I wanted to, so that I could still get the basics under way first. I DID NOT buy the dream car first, before having a home to live in etc. I was also single, because we all know what a HUGE drain to your financial resources woman are (sorry ladies :wink: ) If it was a serious dream, and you're NOT lucky enough to be minted, then I would have thought you would have been preparing a long time ago, not leaving it to the last minute. I couldn't afford to have my cake and eat it. By the sounds of it, neither can you. SO....have you already had your cake and eaten it with other things in your life?

I got my education, I saved my money for everything, I got a mortgage, bought a house, continued to buy and fund "ordinary" cars which I needed to run around, and all the while, slowly saving for my dream car. Only once I knew I was comfortable with everything (still remaining single) did I then seriously consider buying my car. THEN, I got the g/f's. At that point, the car comes WITH me. I'm a package deal. No car, no me. Simple. I'm now 35. I'm not engaged, I'm not married, and I don't have kids. I've been a career man for years, and only now, with having achieved my dream, and feeling comfortable with everything else, I'm I anywhere near considering the next stages in my life. My g/f KNOWS how important my car is to me, and she'd never get in the way of it, especially since it's already there. She knows that if I say I have to back off of some things because some months are more of a struggle than others, then she knows it's because I'm not willing to sink down the slippery slope where I might be faced with the tough decision of having to give up my car.

My point is, not to fleet off too much on a personal tangent, is that you have to take your time. Get settled with one evolutionary part of your life before you move to the next. Don't try to juggle it all at once. I can assure you, with owning a house, especially having kids, and from personal experience with the car, your hand will never be far from your pocket. You'll ALWAYS be dipping into it to pay for the next thing. You try to juggle all these things at once, each requiring their own pocket dipping, and you may come off a cropper with shock if you can't manage it all at once let me tell you.

If your dream is to become a reality, then it'll happen. Just don't push it so hard. Prepare, and think forwards. Make sacrifices. Even if it's not for another 10-20 years, if you're serious enough you'll get there...

Always count on yourself, never expect, or rely on other people. Try involving you g/f. Bring her to car stuff, draw her into your love of it if you can. She might develop an appreciation for it herself, and want to get into it with you, rather than standing on the sidelines with her arms crossed (which is what it sounds like right now). If she knows how important this is to you, and it's NOT just a whim, then she should support you, but all the time, both of you remain realistic about what you CAN and CANNOT handle all at once. Something will have to give somewhere, unless you win the lottery for example. Unfortunately, if everything else is a MUST, and RIGHT NOW, you may have to consider that the thing you have to sacrifice.....is your dream. Only you and your g/f can decide that......together.
Thanks for the reply Rissy, much appreciated and very honest.

I myself have given up a lot to own my dream car (at the time) until now. Since 19 I have owned a highly modified MR2 Turbo. It's a classic that I have always loved, the reliability is second to none, and it has given me 7 years of amazing fun. It's currently more of a drag car running 420hp/365fp. Combine that with not much over a ton in weight and it's a LOT of fun.

I'm just wanting a change from the balastic performance and this fits the bill perfectly. I have wanted one of these for a few years now and have done the research and made many friends who convert them etc. I haven't just come here at the last minute, I have wanted to do this for a while and have some funds available to me up front, but would need a small car loan that will be easily manageable.

Anyway, it looks as if there isn't anyone stepping forward, but if anyone IS interested and would like to discuss face to face, I would be happy to share every last detail about my finances etc.
Well said Rissy.

Luke, you come across as desperate and frustrated and that you NEED the car NOW!

It's not doing you any favours with encouraging anyone to go into partnership with you.

Your a product of your generation I suppose, buy now pay later, if it all goes wrong its not my responsibility, must have the latest gadget culture. (in my opinion :wink: )

Rissy's right, you gotta earn your right of passage to realise your dream.

Now not many of you know this...

When I turned 13 I did 2 paper rounds (morning and evening) and a Saturday Market Job to buy my first pushbike.
We were so poor I had to share a bed with my brother (top & tail), we had hand me down clothes from our uncle and cousins, and free school dinners. In the late 60's people in our village crossed the road when they saw a divorced family coming down the road towards them. Even the school uniform outfitters only opened its doors to us after trading hours so that us broken family kids wouldn't have to mix with "normal folk" when we got our uniforms.

I've got all I have today through education and hard graft. I went to college and had 3 jobs at the same time since no one would pay for me. I even lived of crisp sandwiches and the bins behind Tesco for months just to save for my dreams.

There is a saying which goes,

Careful what you wish for......because you might just get it.

Having stuff doesn't make you any happier. It's knowing how you struggled to get it that gives you self satisfaction and appreciation of it.

Trouble is people judge you on what they see and hear, just as I judge you on what you post here.

As Rissy advised, you've got to work your way up, there is NO shortcut.

It really is that simple, but it'll take you 40 years to realise it, so in the meantime try and take our advice.
Blimey! A lot of valid points raised above also. My only comment would be that in my experience you tend not lose money on a DeLorean (you mentioned being able to do work/repairs yourself so this is a big plus) If it's what you want go for it and you will enjoy it. My only comment would be is if you go down the BTTF route then try to get a car where the 'kit' has been fitted so that it has not damaged it in any way, that way you open up the re-sale route a lot more (but then you have paid a premium for it in the first place) SO why not look at a 'normal' car you can always add the BTTF stuff yourself.
Chris
...Here you go Luke. In case you CAN stand the thought of going for one NOT BTTF'd...

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... ean-dmc12/

Looks quite a nice one. Ready to go. BUT, if I were the buyer, I wouldn't ruin the thing by turning it into a mockery. It looks as though it may deserve more respect than that. I'd leave the conversions for cars which haven't been loved as much. But that's just me.
Rissy Wrote:...Here you go Luke. In case you CAN stand the thought of going for one NOT BTTF'd...

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... ean-dmc12/

Looks quite a nice one. Ready to go. BUT, if I were the buyer, I wouldn't ruin the thing by turning it into a mockery. It looks as though it may deserve more respect than that. I'd leave the conversions for cars which haven't been loved as much. But that's just me.

Thanks for the link Rissy.

I'm currently looking at a loan to purchase a car myself and hire out perhaps locally just to cover my costs. If that fails, I may just go down the standard route. I love the delorean in stock form, I really do. It's a timeless classic that will always go up in value. Celebrities are always after them, Will-i-am spent a fortune on his and turned it into quite a custom one. I'm not too sure on the finished product myself, I prefer the original.

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech ... d-delorean

I have taken the advice onboard, and although some came across as very rude, I do see where you're coming from. I'll see what happens with the loan and go from there.
another route is the similar one i went down, pick up a rough one and restore it, gives you a good insight to the car as you work on it, i saw one on ebay in the US which looked better than one i bought, my bidding fingers were getting itchy.

if you need any help with importing i have a contact who sorted mine out at a really good price and all i did was give him an address and a contact number, and he sorted collection and export

here is the car i saw

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251102921989? ... 500wt_1182

My plan in my head was always, if i stop now can i get my costs back, which "touch wood" id say i am sticking to. That way you cover yourself incase something unplanned happens
dknight Wrote:another route is the similar one i went down, pick up a rough one and restore it, gives you a good insight to the car as you work on it, i saw one on ebay in the US which looked better than one i bought, my bidding fingers were getting itchy.

if you need any help with importing i have a contact who sorted mine out at a really good price and all i did was give him an address and a contact number, and he sorted collection and export

here is the car i saw

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251102921989? ... 500wt_1182

My plan in my head was always, if i stop now can i get my costs back, which "touch wood" id say i am sticking to. That way you cover yourself incase something unplanned happens

Thanks for the advice buddy. I have been now told by several people that as it's a classic and over 25 years old, you can import it for less than £2000 from the US which isn't that bad really.

I considered that, but if I don't manage to get a time machine, I may just go down the standard delorean route and look at converting it myself down the line. I should know within a week or so what I'm going to do! Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5