The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Ok another poser to think about over a coffee
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In the same vain as martins

"A plane is on a runway that is made of a large conveyor belt. The plane starts up its engines and starts to move forward, but as it moves forward, the conveyor belt senses the speed of the plane's wheels and moves at exactly the same speed in the opposite direction. Can the plane take off?"

Here's my one.....

"If its no possible to go faster then the speed of light, If I were on a train going at the speed of light and I fired an arrow forwards inside the train, how fast would that be going?"
The one who can solve this question gets the next Nobel Prize! :lol:

All I could theoretically say is that the arrow in relative to the train would be travelling at it's original speed....

But in relative to the outside of the train.... as time moves on, we would probably find out that there are elements that could travel faster than speed of light, so... the arrow would be travelling at a speed of [speed of light + speed of arrow in relative to the train]

Nice question yet again, but I guess a physical proof of the answers isn't possible yet....

Just my 2p
Hi guys

I think that the arrow would only be going at the speed that it was fired at. If you want to prove this theory, next time that you fly away on holiday, go to the front of the plane and jump in the air. Do you land in the same spot or do you end up in a heap at the back of the plane ( hopefully with the stewardess who you managed to grab on the way passed! ).
Would it be the start of a beautiful relationship or would you get told off for jumping up and down at the front of the plane?

Brian
bttf brian Wrote:Hi guys

I think that the arrow would only be going at the speed that it was fired at. If you want to prove this theory, next time that you fly away on holiday, go to the front of the plane and jump in the air. Do you land in the same spot or do you end up in a heap at the back of the plane ( hopefully with the stewardess who you managed to grab on the way passed! ).
Would it be the start of a beautiful relationship or would you get told off for jumping up and down at the front of the plane?

Brian

You end up in the same spot on the plane in that sitituation because you were travelling at the same speed of the plane just before you jump.

What you said would only happen if you jump when the plane is stationary, and at that very second you are in the "air", the plane suddenly does 0-500mph in 0.1 sec.

Again, just my 2p. :lol:

NickT

Outatime Wrote:The one who can solve this question gets the next Nobel Prize! :lol:

All I could theoretically say is that the arrow in relative to the train would be travelling at it's original speed....

But in relative to the outside of the train.... as time moves on, we would probably find out that there are elements that could travel faster than speed of light, so... the arrow would be travelling at a speed of [speed of light + speed of arrow in relative to the train]

Nice question yet again, but I guess a physical proof of the answers isn't possible yet....

Just my 2p

Scientists first thought that the speed of sound could not be broken........
NickT Wrote:Scientists first thought that the speed of sound could not be broken........

That's what I though Nick Tongue
I'm certainly not well versed in the special theory of relativity, but I do know that the theory (that thus far all of physics appears to confirm) is that C is the ultimate speed limit, and that in the given question, but the train and the arrow will independently be travelling at C, just away from one another....

The quesion is flawed because you can't a) get a train to the speed of light or b) fire an arrow whilst travelling at that speed. This sounds like a really weak answer but the question is as equally flawed as the age old "if god is all powerful, surely he is capable of creating a weight so heavy he can't lift it"

If you want paradoxes, consider this statement:

"I always lie"

..... more coffee...

NickT

I'm sure that the speed of light will be reached some day, not in our lifetime though.

Physics has had to be re-theorised based on observations and re-written a few times !

From Newtonian Classical to Einstein (Quantum mechanics) to Stephen Hawkins to........whoever.

Now, who can work out the next biggest question of life earth and the universe........

"Women."

(I am sure this is from one of the BTTF films)

NickT.
If you jump up in a plane as it's moving forward you do end up slightly further down the plane than when you jumped.

Thats simple momentum. Initially you and the plane are moving at the same speed. When you leave the floor of the plane there is nothing providing the kinetic energy to keep you moving forward, so you begin to loose momentum.

If you could jump for long enough, you would eventually hit the back of the plane, though not with any great force since the energy you loose would be very small over the length of the plane....
Yes of cours the plane can take off. Its the air being drawn in and blsted out the back of the plane that moves it not any drive from the wheels. If the conveyor belt was sensitive to the plane forward speed then the wheels would turn backwards but it wouldn't matter. You could save a heck of a lot of money on tyres if this was the case though.

By the way heres a question you can't answer yes to. Are you asleep?
yes in 6 hours
dont ask me :lol: :lol: :lol: TT
RichH Wrote:If you jump up in a plane as it's moving forward you do end up slightly further down the plane than when you jumped.

I disagree. Unless the plane is accellerating. Newton's first law

"Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it."

You and the plane are travelling at the same speed (uniform motion). You jump exactly upwards, you'll be in free space but still travelling in that uniform motion in the same direction as the plane.
i suppose the easiest way to test that theory, is next time you are a passenger in a car, and you are moving along at whatever speed, throw a tennis ball up in the air (with sunroof closed of course) and see if it comes back into your lap or lands on the back seat Smile
Quote:"Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it."

And thats exactly why I stick to electronics. Bloody Newton and his 'laws'

I never was any good at Physics, everything always seemed so contradictory Big Grin
Pages: 1 2