The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: What a few Days!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
On Thursday, after a wait that seemed an eternity, the two cars arrived from the US into Belfast. They were on a double level lorry with 8 other cars and this posed the problem of them being too big to be dropped off at my house. I arranged for them to be dropped off on the hard shoulder at a roundabout where many commuters to Belfast park to car share. Here are the pics

[Image: dsc00029vv1.jpg]

[Image: dsc00030yb5.jpg]

[Image: dsc00031jf5.jpg]

[Image: dsc00032em6.jpg]

[Image: dsc00033py2.jpg]

Alistair, Thomas, Keith and Colin were on hand to provide contacts, brute force, knowledge and accomodation on the day. This was greatly appreciated.

2456 is the restoration job for after Eurotec, so it has been stored beside Colin's mint Delorean in his garage. Thanks Colin.

2835 had 13 days to Register, MOT, Insure and Tax to get the boat to Eurotec. I took fuel with me so first job was starting the car. With the fuel in we found the battery to be weak. With another battery and leads the car started but the clutch hit the deck. The resevoir was empty so it needed filled and bled. Halfords was our first port of call where I picked up a battery from Alistairs reccommendation. Terminals, wire, a switch, spanners, clutch fluid and a clutch bleeding kit were purchased. Alistair brought his fog light to be fitted for the MOT as well. I had already ordered headlights from Mike in preperation as well.

With Alistair and Thomas's help the battery was fitted before they had to go to do bits and pieces in their non delorean related lives. Once alone I stared at the car before deciding it needed a clean. My better half set about washing the car with Mr Muscle window cleaner. She did a pretty good job too. I set about bleeding the clutch. Under I went after filling the resevoir and soon everything was operational.

On Saturday the headlights arrived and I set about fitting them. So far I have the outer lights fitted while the inner lights are in the process of being fitted. I have had the car to the end of the drive and back to test the clutch but am dying to go further.

I have a cold start problem which Alistair is going to look at soon and I have a steering column bush, angle drive, fuel sender, cat bypass pipe and sump gasket on the way from Ed which should be here by the weekend.

I think that covers everything. I am finally a fully fledged owner. See you at Eurotec

NickT

Nice one Big Grin

It'd be nice to see it at euroTec.

NickT

bozzzydmc

Hey good work ! I am looking forward to seeing you and your car in a couple of weeks. You have a great bunch of guys helping you out over there!

All the best matey.
Good stuff!! Look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

Chris
I bet you are glad that's over! Its bad enough waiting for months for a car to arrive (when imported) but having to do it,next to a busy road with lots of onlookers just adds to the tension.

The cars look to be good condition, good luck with getting one on the road ASAP.
nice one it does look in quite good nick TT
Thanks guys. Hopefully all will go smoothly. The lights are in, they just need aligned now. Alistair said it was one of the straightest imports he has seen. The frames on both look great as well. The one beside Alistair smoking is the non-runner. I think I have my work cut out with it. I'll worry about that after Eurotec though.
great work in such a short space of time. Big Grin

Alistair and the guys in Ireland are absolutely brilliant and I'm sure they'll
give you plenty of moral and techical support during your ownership of the
cars Smile

See you in 2 weeks!
A few more pics

[Image: dsc00034rb8.jpg]

[Image: dsc00035sc7.jpg]

[Image: dsc00036ou3.jpg]

[Image: dsc00038st7.jpg]

[Image: dsc00039xp0.jpg]

[Image: dsc00044zu2.jpg]

[Image: dsc00045ym3.jpg]
2835 is now insured so will be registered tomorrow then an MOT booked. 4 week waiting list so hopefully I can get a cancellation. Hope the car goes through first time as well.

bozzzydmc

Thanks for the update and fingers crossed for you matey..

Is there somewhere that can do 'pre mots' for you ??
I know somewhere but getting the car there legally could be a problem as it is 25ish miles away
Just pre-book it with the garage. Get yourself insured on the VIN number and It's quite legal to drive to the MOT test centre. Big Grin

Good luck, keep up the good work.

Best Regards
D
hi

i don't want to worry you, but don't you need an MOT to register?.

hence cars (like mine)cannot be registered untill then, and the tax issued.

strangely you cannot do a sorn either on a vin number so without the register, the car officially does not exist.

you can drive to an MOT without tax and mot. (prebooked on the vin).

must be insured and 'roadworthy'.

you can also drive from a port of entry and to and from repairs after an MOT failure.
steve.s Wrote:hi

i don't want to worry you, but don't you need an MOT to register?.

hence cars (like mine)cannot be registered untill then, and the tax issued.

strangely you cannot do a sorn either on a vin number so without the register, the car officially does not exist.

you can drive to an MOT without tax and mot. (prebooked on the vin).

must be insured and 'roadworthy'.

you can also drive from a port of entry and to and from repairs after an MOT failure.

You need insurance to register, a registration to book MOT, MOT and Insurance to get tax. Then you need a pint to relieve all the stress
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5