The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Another Alternator Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks

Noticed recently that my battery light comes on the odd time when driving and my volt meter will drop. If I turn the car off and on again the light goes out and stays out for the rest of the journey. This happens every now and again but I am starting to think that is the alternator on its way out rather than there being a loose wire behind the dash.

Any ideas.

NickT

I would double check the wiring just to be sure.
Check that the main connection to the alternator is nice and clean.
I had to use a dremmel with wire brush in it to clean the circular connections on my car.

The alternator may just have worn brushes.

I am assuming that the earths on your car are ok, especially the engine to chassis one.

Which type of alternator do you have on your car?

NickT.
It is one of John Herveys 110 amp alternators, I have had it on the car for about 2 years now and it has never given trouble.

Earths MUST be ok as everything else works fine, I might pop down to Halfords and buy an alternator tester and have a quick check.

Either that or whip the alt off and bring it to my local car electrics place and get them to have a look at it.

It generaly happens about 5-10 minutes into a journey, if I stop the car and then start it again it is fine for the remainder of the journey, bloody weird.
Might be a long shot,but have you checked your battery to see if the distiled water has evaporated.the distiled water should be over the electrodes.
If the water is low it can cause problems.
I have my battery on a conditioner at all times, its only about a year old I think??

I always shows good voltage when I am driving and there is enough power to start the car if I leave it for a week or so without the conditioner plugged in.

I will buy this tester from Halfords tomorrow and see if it sheds any light.
It's probably something silly.But that's the norm with cars.
hi

it might sound daft, but have you changed the belt recently, or is it old.

a slipping belt could do this, without necessarily the 'whine'.

firstly i would change and tension the belt.

steve
vin 1621