The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
Engine Overhaul (Norway) - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: DELOREAN HELP AND ADVICE & PARTS CROSS REFERENCE (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: 1 - Engine (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Engine Overhaul (Norway) (/showthread.php?tid=4721)

Engine Overhaul (Norway) - Bullitt - 13 Oct 2014

Hi! I sent my engine over to a local company who rebuilds engines. They gave me a list of what parts I need:
Gasket kit (already have this)
New Pistons (With Liners, Rings, shims)
Main bearings
Rod Bearings
Camshafts
Valve Lifters
Valve Springs
Timing Chain Kit
and perhaps a New oil pump.

Any thoughts on this? Do i need something more?
Ive heard that you should not mill the valvehead surface on these engines, correct?
And, I could not find the timingchain in the parts list at delorean motor Company, just the guides and fastners. Where to find this?
Should I change the gears as well? or are these usually good?
Was thinking about buying fast camshafts and High compression pistons from Delorean Europe, but these pistons do not include the liners. Any where I can get them seperate?
Do I need better headgaskets With these? (I have no trouble dropping the Hi compression pistons)

Re: Engine Overhaul (Norway) - Chris Williams - 13 Oct 2014

With that long list of parts would you not be best to try and get a replacement engine either new or used? I would have thought the cost of those parts would far outweigh the cost of a good replacement engine.
Chris

Re: Engine Overhaul (Norway) - Chris P - 13 Oct 2014

I agree with Chris…what was wrong with the engine? These engines are usually pretty bomb proof. The only way I've known them need a lot of attention is if they have been badly turbo-charged of have been seriously overheated .

Re: Engine Overhaul (Norway) - Bullitt - 14 Oct 2014

You are probably right. Well, the engine worked, cant remember, but I think it has over 200.000 km on it. Just wanted the engine in good shape, so I dont have to pull it out again half a year later. But if I am to do this, I would appreciate if someone has some answer to my quetions. :-?

Re: Engine Overhaul (Norway) - Chris P - 14 Oct 2014

I'm out of my comfort zone here, not only have I never had to go deeper than a new water pump / injectors etc on any of my DeLoreans. I've never known anyone who has!

200k may be some sort of record in Europe. Although an American car has supposedly covered 500,000 miles still on the same engine.

Martin G…Any ideas???

Hehe, thanks for the input anyway. I do like the idea of keeping the original engine.

Re: Engine Overhaul (Norway) - Chris Williams - 14 Oct 2014

I have used both DeLorean spec and Volvo spec Pistons in the same liners with no issues, but would have thought you would be best getting these as a matching set if going with new. Normal head gaskets are fine to use. Not sure on milling the heads, but do they actually need to be??
I have used different cams without any problems, but I still feel that you would be better getting a new/replacement engine due to the costs involved in getting all those parts together. I'm sure Ed would be able to get the timing chain for you, certinally worth changing if your changing everything else.
Chris

Thanks Chris!