The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Redundant Gadgets.... Remember these?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

bozzzydmc

Did anybody have one of these??? I did!

[Image: bush15.jpg]
[Image: discaset.gif]

When I was about 6 years old, or should I say late 70's, my grandparents bought me one of these contraptions as a gift. I remember lugging it to infant school with a box of 45's, and being the only person I knew that ever owned one. It's a Bush Discassette DC70, which was a model up from the earlier invented 'Discatrons'.
You drop in a 45 or 33 RPM 7" single, press play, and away it went. You could play records with a large or small hole in the middle, but the benefit of this device was that you could play cassettes too. A little fiddly, and if you had a record loaded while you tried to play a cassette, the tape heads would crash into it and scratch it. Still, its quite ingenious, has a built in speaker, takes batteries or plugs into the mains via an adaptor. Estimated battery life was 10 hours. Sound quality was pretty poor, and the actual record player stylus used a linear rod system which basically knackers your records due to the pressure required to keep it 'in the groove' so to speak. And when the stylus was worn out, you had to just throw the whole thing away as a replacement was inpractacal because it was a sod to get the casing off without breaking it. You can imagine trying to play a warped record too cant you? I don't know whatever happened to mine, but last going off, it was functioning abnornally. Still, it would be handy for parts, as there is one on ebay at the moment with a rotten belt! Well, you never know! I've always been intreagued by different types of radio apparatus, and I have had quite a collection of radio's over the years. Thought this one was worth a place on the "redundant" items page, cos cassettes and records are almost bye the bye!
And if anyone knows where you can get a belt for this baby, let me know!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-BUSH-DISCAss ... dZViewItem

Ben
Well that's brought back memories... I'm sure my folks have one of those discassette things at home! I remember the pull up handle and all those chunky switches!
Oh my god John, I was reading that yesterday! How's that for a co-incidence? Have you still got it? Well you are the first person that I actually know (Well, to talk to a few times at the NEC) thats had experience with one of these. The one on ebay which was not tested went for £37. I think I'll ferret round in my mums attick to see if I can find my old un-functioning one! Hope your D is looking as gorgeous as it did 2 years ago! Might see you at the NEC this year, and mistake someone else's car for yours again!

Ben