The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: declaring car sorn
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello all, im declaring my car sorn for a few months and was just wondering if there are any problems when you re-tax, do you have to contact dvla or just nip down the local post office

thanks tony TT
Hi Tony
You just go down the P.O & re- tax it
ask claire or phill about it they know about that
thanks at least i know cheers tony ps just done it on line mind you it wont be long till its back, back to....... no im not gonna :wink: TT
you can tax online Tourettes without even leaving the sanctity of home Smile

Just go to : http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPor ... =directgov

and you can licence your car or declare SORN online, all you need is either the V11 reminder or the reference number off the front of your V5C registration document.

They then check the insurance and MOT databases to confirm you have both of these in place, you then enter your debit/credit card details, and hey presto, in about 5 days time, your new disc arrives (although you can forget that right now with the Royal Mail going on strike again tomorrow until next Tuesday night).

Hope this helps,
GOOD OLD CLAIRE TO THE RESCUE
This is kind of, nearly a different thread, but all connected to the previous subject. There is a slight problem I always feel with doing it on line, it is really convenient, but your local Post Office WILL close!
I personally do every type of transaction the P.O. take, just for that very reason.
Glen & Sam Wrote:GOOD OLD CLAIRE TO THE RESCUE
less of the OLD you cheeky git! :wink:

BTW - would normally use the Post Office for taxing a car, etc, but when its 11pm, on the night your tax is due, and you've forgotten to get it....... luckilly, our village Post Office here is not on the closure list - Phill certainly keeps our Postmaster busy with Lego orders being despatched all over the world anyway Big Grin
What if my car is already on SORN, and I want to tax it again?

I have SORN my car on the 30th of Sept 2007 (I tried to retax it online but it simplky won't), and now I want to retax the car this week.

Is the reference number on the reminder still valid?

If not, what do i need to retax the car? All my documents are up north, but my car is currently down south with me! (i.e. I don't want to go up north by train, get the paper work done, and travel back down to drive the car up north again)

Any good suggestion?

bozzzydmc

You will need the paperwork / documents John, can anyone post them to you?
bozzzydmc Wrote:You will need the paperwork / documents John, can anyone post them to you?

Oh dear.... the paperwork are all well hidden and locked up!

In that case, I will have to do the 2 up and down journeys to get the car taxed then....

Is towing the car legal if it's on SORN? If so I could save myself a lot of petrol for only a few sheets of paper!
you can tow it on a trailer, but not sure about by the towing eye - and I'm not sure I'd want to pull a Delorean that far on its towing eye .......

The V11 reminder might be out of date to use to retax the car, so you'll need your V5C registration document, MOT, Insurance and a cheque/debit card payment for however much tax you want. If you've got the Document reference number off of your V5C, then you should be able to use that to relicence online.

If you're still having problems, give the DVLA at Swansea a call - a little tip tho, dont ring the 0870 number on the DVLA website, use 01792 782341 (number courtesy of www.saynoto0870.com - a brilliant website that gives you the 'normal' alternative phone numbers of the more expensive 0870 numbers Smile )