The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Carputer in a DeLorean
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well, hi guys. Its been a while since ive had a chat on here, but ive been very busy this past few months. Living the coupled life doesnt leave me much time for anything else, but in the time I've had spare, ive installed my PC into my DeLorean! Well, not quite finished yet, but its nearly there.
(Hears chunts from concours enthusiasts) Sad
Everything is fully reversable. Ive tried not to do too much damage ! :? Big Grin

The car.
[Image: 01.jpg]

[Image: 02.jpg]

[Image: 03.jpg]

[Image: 04.jpg]

[Image: 05.jpg]

[Image: 06.jpg]

The first idea was to use a mini DVD player...but it wasnt good enough.
[Image: 07.jpg]

So, I bought myself a 7" touch screen and linked it upto my laptop.
I found some fantastic free software called Road Runner, which is fully customisable in every respect.
Some of the key features I have used are - Mp3, DVD, Divx, Mpg or whatever you want playback. Sat Nav using Destinator maps, Bluetooth (climb in the car and the bluetooth link will read you phonebook content from your mobile onto the screen, then you can dial straight from the screen. Rear view camera, Internet access, Wireless Network link (send music and videos from my PC to my car!).
There's tons more you can do, but for now, thats what im going to be using.

My Screen.
[Image: 08.jpg]

Setting up the software.
[Image: 09.jpg]

Stereo out.
[Image: 10.jpg]

Vents out.
[Image: 11.jpg]

Quick measure up.
[Image: 12.jpg]

[Image: 13.jpg]

Aircon/Ventilation panel off.
[Image: 14.jpg]

The gearshift plate out.
[Image: 15.jpg]

Center leather console out.
[Image: 18.jpg]

Screen taken to bits. Buttons hacked off and new bezel in fabrication.
[Image: 19.jpg]

[Image: 20.jpg]

[Image: 21.jpg]

[Image: 22.jpg]

[Image: 23.jpg]

[Image: 24.jpg]

[Image: 24.1.jpg]

[Image: 24.2.jpg]

[Image: 24.3.jpg]

The car PC motherboard and extras.
[Image: 25.jpg]

Motherboard again, with a view of the smart in car PSU (Power Supply Unit)
Allows 3-4 seconds after your ignition is turned on before the PC fires up.
If you start your car after you've had the ignition on for a few seconds, the power supply will still feed the PC a nice steady voltage, even under the strain of an engine crank.
Same thing on shutdown. Obviously, PC's need to go through the shutdown routine before power is cut. This PSU is linked to the motherboard's power switch connector, so when your ignition is turned off, it will throw your computer into shutdown mode before it cuts all power. Even if the pc is left switched on, it will monitor the battery. If voltage drops below 11.2v it will initiate the same shutdown sequence.
[Image: 26.jpg]

Here is the mini circuitboard that used to be the control button for the screen. They had to be removed, because there wasnt enough room for them to fit in the tight area I had to work with.
In this picture, there are three black wires leading from what used to be the IR reciever (For the remote). I didnt want to loose my screen controls, so logically, it was a good idea to extend the IR reciever and place it somewhere else.
[Image: 27.jpg]

The extended IR Reciever.
[Image: 28.jpg]

Backplate on and ready to be test fitted.
[Image: 29.jpg]

[Image: 30.jpg]

First test fit, and a quick wire up to check everything is ok.
[Image: 31.jpg]

This isnt where the PC will sit. Im contemplating 2 options.
(1) Take out the bass speaker and mount it in the space behind the drivers seat. Then build the bass speaker into the back board.
(2) Build a fibreglass (Carpeted) enclosure that will house all the gubbins on the back shelf, and still leave some storage space. (I have a few nifty plans scratched up)

[Image: 32.jpg]

It works !
[Image: 33.jpg]

Getting the leather centre console back into position.
[Image: 34.jpg]

Fire it up !
[Image: 35.jpg]

[Image: 36.jpg]

[Image: 37.jpg]

[Image: 38.jpg]

[Image: 39.jpg]

After a few test runs, driving round, trying satnav, playing music etc etc, I noticed a very unwanted effect. Terrible engine whine through the speakers. I tried plugging my headphones directly into the PC, and there was no whine. It seemed like the problem was between the pc and the amp. A problem called "Ground Loop". So whats the answer....... A ground loop isolator of course !

Cured it in one !
[Image: 40.jpg]

Nice screen saver eh!
[Image: 41.jpg]

Last photo.....The finished running product.
[Image: 42.jpg]

People may have noticed, I still hadnt fitted my ashtray back in. This is because im attempting to fabricate a hidden power swith for the pc, and a couple of USB ports in there.

Well, that about it.......
Thoughts anyone? Improvements? :lol:
Now that is a classy mod. Well done matey.

Doesn't look like it's been shoe-horned in either, very tasteful.

8)
Cheers mate! :wink:
I wanted to give it a factory fitted look...If ever there is one!
But it turned out pretty well. I've been wanting to do this since November last year. So I made sure i did plenty of research ( http://www.mp3car.com ) before I started fabrication. I finally got the courage to start it a few months back.
Very nice! Always good to see step by step photos Smile Keep on tinkering..

NickT

Looks great 8)

I'd like to come round and have a look after work.

NickT
Excellent installation looks great and as for the time circuits just the finishing touch.
Do you want to do mine?

Tyson and (hana 5284)
Nice, but won't it get a bit hot without the air vents?

Next step would be to go to EFI on the engine and combine the computer system with the ECU software.

I'm curious - would it be legal to entirely remove the gauges from the binnacle and replace the whole thing with a computer screen, assuming you had the same displays for speed etc. in digital form?
looks brilliant Birksie - haha, so that explains why you've been so 'lesser spotted' these last few months! :lol:

I like the way you fabricated the screen, similar to how Phill fabricated screen mounts for the Sat Nav's in our Cavaliers - also, is that a Clevo 2700 laptop that you've used? I used to sell Clevo (Taiwanese Clone Notebooks) Laptops when I worked at Fortune Technology several years ago.

Good work mate! Big Grin
Rottbott Wrote:Nice, but won't it get a bit hot without the air vents?

Next step would be to go to EFI on the engine and combine the computer system with the ECU software.

I'm curious - would it be legal to entirely remove the gauges from the binnacle and replace the whole thing with a computer screen, assuming you had the same displays for speed etc. in digital form?

I still get plenty of air through the side vents, so its not a problem. Recently been re-gassed too. There is a USB analogue to digital dongle you can buy with several inputs and outputs for such a modification. Theres a guy in the states that has done this, and he's running his own software to monitor speed, temp, oil, fuel, revs, trip etc. Designed with the DeLorean font. Looks pretty neat.

Hi Claire glad you like it. Fabrication isnt one of my strong points, hence the reason why it took me 3 weeks (on and off) to make the bezel !
I knew you were going to mention something about the laptop ! lol
You mentioned that last time you visited! Big Grin
Birksie Wrote:Hi Claire glad you like it. I knew you were going to mention something about the laptop ! lol
You mentioned that last time you visited! Big Grin
lol :lol: :lol:

seriously tho mate, great install there, cant wait to see it in the 'flesh' so to speak Big Grin
wow that looks amazing! It looks like it should be there. I was and probably still am just gonna go with the screen that comes out and pops up when i get my D. But wil haveto see when the time comes.
Very impressive job, congratulation Shock
Great job mate!

Did you use 7" Liliput touch screen? It seems to be the trend for carputer modder~

P.S. Sure you don't need the ash tray? Shock

[Image: 24.3.jpg]
Hi John!
Long time no chat mate.

Yeah, it is indeed a Lilliput 7" Touchscreen. I managed to get a firmware hack from mp3car.com that allowed the monitor to turn on as soon as there was power to it. Default mode is off. So I hooked the screen up with the car-PC's PSU so that after shutdown it would cut power to it.

Ashtray? What for?
Surely not smoking in my D? Big Grin
Im sure if I need to put another ashtray in there, I can buy a new one from DMCH Smile
But for now, this one is getting hacked up (a little bit) and having a power button for the PC (Manual overide), 2 USB ports, and 2 switches for the flux capacitor! Smile
Birksie Wrote:Hi John!
Long time no chat mate.

Yeah, it is indeed a Lilliput 7" Touchscreen. I managed to get a firmware hack from mp3car.com that allowed the monitor to turn on as soon as there was power to it. Default mode is off. So I hooked the screen up with the car-PC's PSU so that after shutdown it would cut power to it.

Ashtray? What for?
Surely not smoking in my D? Big Grin
Im sure if I need to put another ashtray in there, I can buy a new one from DMCH Smile
But for now, this one is getting hacked up (a little bit) and having a power button for the PC (Manual overide), 2 USB ports, and 2 switches for the flux capacitor! Smile

Yea, long time no chat!

Hehe, I have "hacked up" some places on my rear light clusters for modding the LED rear lights too, but not something people would realise unless I tell them :wink:

Get a ash tray now as a back up, in case it gets rare all of a sudden as lots of people now wants a carputer in their D!

Keep up the good work! and Chat later!
Pages: 1 2 3 4