The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Rear Brake Squeal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

Just a quick one. I have replaced all discs and pads (Green Stuff Pads). However the handbrake pads are still stock, as plenty of meat on them.

All the pads have anti squeal stickers and a little copper grease on the back.

However when I drive and turn a long open corner it tends to squeal and sometimes when driving in a straight line, but as soon as I apply the brake it stops.

I thought it might be the handbrake pads not retracting?? As there is a retraction fork thingy which mounts on the calliper, could this be the cause??

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Richard
Hi Richard,

It's going to be difficult to diagnose without seeing it - but normally brake squeal is caused by vibration of the pads - rather than rubbing.

You should check that the calipers are mounted properly and aren't loose in any way - and that the pads themselves are tightly held in place by the retaining clips.
I presume the pads themselves are the correct cross reference.

Also - although unlikely - may be worth checking the rear wheel bearings by looking to see if there is any play in the wheel...although most likely not the case.

Sorry - don't know if this helps much! You're not far away - so if it really bothers you - just drop us a call/mail and come down to have it checked.

All the best

Darren
The handbrake pads themselves are bolted onto caliper 'arms' so it is unlikely to be the pads, unless the bolts have worked loose.

Try instead adding a little grease to the two long pivot bolts that hold the arms in place.