The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Sports Car or GT Car?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was watching something a while back (about DeLorean...obviously), and the presenter said that the DeLorean was:

Quote:More of a GT car than a Sports car

Would anyone agree with this, because the DeLorean is pretty nippy when it's going.
I think the DeLorean can only qualify as a sports car because a GT car wouldn't have a rear engine lay-out, typically because that space would be used for luggage storage so that the vast distances that a GT has to be able to cross can be done with lots of stuff in the boot.

Rear engine drivetrains, such as is found in the Porsche 911 and Renault Alpine, are in my opinion indicative of sports cars.
well i would class it as a one off, so not any type really TT
Tourettes Tony Wrote:well i would class it as a one off, so not any type really TT

Actually I think I would agree with that.

Either way it's definitely not a GT car in my opinion.
I suppose really the D' would be classed as a Sports Car because thats what insurance companys class it as.

Also, an interesting fact, when insuring your D', you can class it as a Kit Car because there are supposedly so many bits and bobs from other cars in there. Which will save you a few £s.
alexadams1 Wrote:I suppose really the D' would be classed as a Sports Car because thats what insurance companys class it as.

Also, an interesting fact, when insuring your D', you can class it as a Kit Car because there are supposedly so many bits and bobs from other cars in there. Which will save you a few £s.

Idea :?: Idea
Can you? and more to the point would you want to!

Chris
Hmmm....I guess there's nothing to stop you from trying to insure your DeLorean as a kit car - but I doubt they'd pay you in the event of a claim.
The DeLorean isn't a kit car - and was built by a registered automobile manufacturer and most importantly was sold to the public as a complete unit - not in kit form.

Most insurance companies have no idea what a DeLorean is - so if you tell them it's a kit car - they'll believe you - but if you ever try and claim - they'll do some investigation and then refuse to pay!

The various parts from other brands isn't really key - most cars have bits and pieces from other vehicles - as it simply isn't cost effective to make every single piece unique for a car - much of the Ford range uses the same chassis - but just with different bodies.

Sadly - I know too much about this, as I was desperately looking for a way to import a DeLorean into Singapore and bypass their strict 'nothing older than 3 years' rule.

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:The various parts from other brands isn't really key - most cars have bits and pieces from other vehicles - as it simply isn't cost effective to make every single piece unique for a car - much of the Ford range uses the same chassis - but just with different bodies.

lol, right there Darren, its a standing joke to go up to the owner of an X-Type Jag and say "nice Mondeo mate!" - cos basically, underneath the bodypanels and the badging, thats all the X-Type is - as the Rolls Royce is now a glorified Beemer (and dont even get me started on those bloody things after yesterday.... grrr.... ) and the Bentley a re-skinned VW Phaeton. :wink:
Now if you really want to wind someone up, tell an Audi TT owner that someone has sat on their Beetle........
lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

not heard that one before!!
PJ Grady (Europe) Wrote:The DeLorean isn't a kit car...

...although it might be a kit car before too long. Take a look at this:

http://dmctalk.com/showthread.php?t=6597