The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Top Gear Magazine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just been reading my Top Gear Magazine and got to an article about the new Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe.

In it it says that the team behind the car admit to having studied a DeLorean when designing the stainless steel bonnet that contrasts the painted bodywork.

Obviously the usual jibes are made about the DeLorean not being worthy of being involved in the development of a car like a Roller, but it's interesting to think that car designers are still aware of the D, and still look to it for inspiration all these years on.
In my opinion a rolls royce is no competition compared to a delorean, the d wins hands down every time! 8)

Rach
xxxxx
Rach J Young Wrote:In my opinion a rolls royce is no competition compared to a delorean, the d wins hands down every time! 8)

Rach
xxxxx

That would be my opinion as well.

It just amuses me that a car costing more than £300,000 owes part of its design to something conceived back in the 1970s.

I think that adds ammunition to the argument that the D was ahead of its time because its presence is still felt today.
I love the 2 faced-ness of these motoring reports, I mean, the Rolls Royce isnt the car it used to be, its just a glorified BMW at the end of the day.

I remember going out in a Lamborghini Gallardo one evening, and although it was a fantastic machine, very quick, great noise, etc, it just felt like any other Audi inside, which was a real let down.

Its all badge engineering these days anyway. The days of independent motor companies, like DeLorean, are long gone - look at TVR, one of the last true British motor companies, now in Russian hands. :roll:
Imagine a Roller with gullwing doors.... Big Grin
dmckelv12 Wrote:Imagine a Roller with gullwing doors.... Big Grin

The Coupe does in fact have doors similar to the McLaren Merc SLR! Smile
Jonny Jones Wrote:
dmckelv12 Wrote:Imagine a Roller with gullwing doors.... Big Grin

The Coupe does in fact have doors similar to the McLaren Merc SLR! Smile

Really? That's a new one on me if that's true.

I don't know of any Roller with doors that do anything other than open normally (apart from the few that have "suicide" doors of course - like the aforementioned Phantom Drophead Coupe).
Technically speaking, they're "Butterfly doors" on the Merc McLaren SLR.

There's 3 kind of doors.

Scissor Doors (Slices upwards hinged from the front, like on the Lambo Murcielago),
[Image: 300px-Lamborghini_Murci%C3%A9lago_Concours.jpg]

Butterfly doors (Like the Merc SLR and Toyota Sera etc.)
[Image: Mclaren-Mercedes420x300.jpg]
[Image: japanoid_sera_cover_keicar.jpg]

ThenGullwing like the D and the Mercedes Benz 300 SL.
[Image: 180px-Mercedes_300SL_Gullwing.jpg]

Smile
Then theres the "no doors" approach :lol:

[Image: minirefurb013ka0.th.jpg]
Rach J Young Wrote:Then theres the "no doors" approach :lol:

ooo air con without needing to ever refill
JZD was besotted with the Mercedes Gullwing which is why his car also had to have them too (against the advice of Lotus). I wonder if there had never been any gullwings before the DeLorean that he would have just gone for conventional doors otherwise?
MikeH Wrote:
Rach J Young Wrote:Then theres the "no doors" approach :lol:

ooo air con without needing to ever refill

The doors will be attached for when I pass my test, don't know how long they will stay on the car for though with my driving Shock :lol: Poor mini... lol

Rach
xxxxx
Looks like you've had the hover conversion done already! Big Grin

You could do a gullwing conversion you know..........
dmckelv12 Wrote:Looks like you've had the hover conversion done already! Big Grin

You could do a gullwing conversion you know..........

We cheated a bit with the hover conversion as you can see :lol:

Rach
xxxxx