The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Delorean Self-Drive Hire
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

g30ff

Hi

I own a classic and sports car hire company (i won't post the name as i don't want the post to be deleted)

We are looking at expanding our range and are considering getting a delorean.

Do the members think this would be popular ? How much would people be willing to pay ? and finally would people pay a premium for a RHD one ?

Many thanks

Geoff
Phill had an enquiry from someone wanting to hire his car on a self drive basis - even though the details state self drive hire is not an option. Then the enquirer said he wanted the car to do the Canonball/Gumball!! Yeah right!! Shock

AFAIK, none of the owners that do 'hire' work with their cars let them out on self drive hire basis'. For a starters, our insurance policies wouldnt cover it, plus I for one wouldnt be happy about giving the keys to my pride and joy to a complete stranger.

If you're willing to take the risk, then its up to you. Good RHD cars can command a premium of up to £10k over a LHD one, but they are very far and few between, and generally, no 2 RHD's are completely the same.
i think it would be very popular, theres a special place up in edingborugh i think that does that with all sorts of cars and the delorean is always booked up i heard. Im not sure about the price at all.

As for paying a premium for a rhd, maybe yes, but lhd is better, it was a car made for the american market, i dont want a rhd, thats what my probe is forTongue

oh and if it was a good price id prolly pay to have a go, never driven one before so itd be nice to see how it handles
I had the same muppet ask me about hiring my car for the Gumball. I advised that due to insurance issues it would be far more cost effective to buy one and then sell it after the Gumball. As I finished writing the email to the 'muppet' I remembered thinking that the Gumball was due to start so soon that he would not have time to get a car. Sure enough the gumballers had left Pall Mall the day before the enquiry, hence muppet.
Claire Usher Wrote:Good RHD cars can command a premium of up to £10k over a LHD one...

Claire Usher Wrote:...generally, no 2 RHD's are completely the same.

no two DeLoreans are the same period...'RHD' in particular...because remember they're all CONVERSIONS i.e. ex-LHDs.
I was generalising for simplicity of reply, Demelza.

When you've got an essentially hand built low volume car, there is no way any two can be identical, especially compared to modern production cars.

And 26 years on, they've probably all got more differences between them then when they rolled off the assembly lines in Dunmurry.
I agree, Kelvin drove mine and was surprised on how stiff the clutch was and how weird the steering was, yet they all have the same components, so in a nutshell they all look identical but they'r totally different if that makes sense :wink: TT
[quote="Chris Hawes"]I had the same muppet ask me about hiring my car for the Gumball.

Was he green and looked like a very large frog :wink: TT
Don't mention Frogs... girlfriend + Flymo X long grass + frog = blade slicing off half the frogs face!

From what I understand about Frog's, like monitor lizards they will not bleed to death so after checking he was okay I took him down to the stream and off he hopped. He will be at greater risk from Predators from his right side as he lost his eye too.

I think I may have just broken the record for going off topic :wink:
Bypassing Chris H's comments about 'frog worrying' and considering Geoffs question...the main thing to consider when offering a car for self drive hire is the fact that the DeLorean is a 25 year old+ car - which needs regular maintenance to keep on the roads.

It wouldn't be the same as giving someone a newish Ferrari to drive around for a couple of days. If I were to loan out a DeLorean on self drive - I'd want one that had been almost rebuilt with new components (as hirers that break down tend not to want to pay).

I think you'd get a reasonable flow of people wanting to hire a DeLorean - certainly when Chris H was offering charity rides at the NEC the car was as popular as any others on the stand. Just beware of the maintenence costs of an older car - and factor that into your price.

RHD is personal preference. I personally prefer the LHD configuration, as it adds to the feel of driving something different - some people may pay a premium - probably not many - and only if the RHD conversion was a very good one.

How much would someone pay? Work backwards from how much the car wold cost, with insurance and maintenance and a profit margin, then see where that gets you. The Delorean isn't an unobtainable exotic like a Ferrari or Lamborghini is to some people, so the price shouldn't be too steep.

Regards

Darren
Claire Usher Wrote:I was generalising for simplicity of reply, Demelza.

When you've got an essentially hand built low volume car, there is no way any two can be identical, especially compared to modern production cars.

And 26 years on, they've probably all got more differences between them then when they rolled off the assembly lines in Dunmurry.

yes, I know :wink:

A valid point you follow with also.

ps. how do you know its me? :wink:
so in a nutshell they all look identical but they'r totally different if that makes sense :wink: TT[/quote]

Who ever said "once you've seen one you've seen them all???? :roll:
The RHD tail lights with MAVERICK gave you away, Demelza!

I have driven a fair number of DeLoreans over the years including a couple of RHD's and every single car felt and drove differently. This is not always because one car has euro springs, or different modifications it is down to two elements I reckon:-

1) condition of the components / amount of use the car has had
2) the cars are hand built, no two feel the same!
DMZ Wrote:ps. how do you know its me? :wink:

ah, well it didnt take that much working out - and there arnt that many cars in the DOC with the 'Euro spec' back lights! :wink:
Chris Hawes Wrote:The RHD tail lights with MAVERICK gave you away, Demelza!

ahah haha I love 'em mate. Ah but I must emphasise to you an error in your assumpsions: vin11133 is NOT RHD; there were 14 EURO-SPECS with these tail lights on them (as Claire said)- 11 were converted to RHD by WH, the other 3 remained LHD. Of those three, two were manual transmission, one auto. And that one is vin11133. Smile

...and it will always have its ES lights :wink:
Pages: 1 2