The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Steering Rack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just ordered a new steering rack for my D, as it failed the MOT due to this.
Ive just fitted some new discs and pads to the front, and still I get wobble when braking.
Im now presuming that a dodgy steering rack can cause wobble when braking. Can anyone confirm that? :?
Paul, there mustbe play in it if they failed it, i know of a few racks where the offside bush has fell out it could be that, where are you getting rack from luv TT :lol:
Quote:Just ordered a new steering rack for my D, as it failed the MOT due to this.

Can you un-order it?

I have just had my rack back from refurbishment. The company had it collected on Monday, refurbed on Tuesday and it was back to me on Wednesday morning. Total cost inc VAT £86

They have identified the rack as being "a generic Lotus one" though they couldn't give me a part number. They have replaced gaiters, knuckle joints and probably other bits that I can't tell 'till I actually drive the D again...

The company in question is Driveshaft UK and use City Link collect from anywhere, though the cost may vary. 01902 602103
The steering is shocking Tony. Its fairly hard to turn, and at speed will tend to follow marks and ruts in the road. Not Good ! Sad

Mine is a refurb too Rich, and about the same price, so there's no worries.

I was wondering if the excessive play could be the cause of my juddery braking?
could be the bushes on the suspension mounts, if they are original, mine does it as well, new bushes coming up, as for me and Rich asking about where it comes from we dont want you getting ripped cheers Tony TT
Check anti-roll bar bushes (wobbly braking) and the two steering universal joints (stiff steering).

NickT

I presume you re-checked the disc runout after you fitted the new discs.

Do you have to move the steering wheel more than 1 an inch before the wheels move? If it is hard to turn the wheel physically then inspect the track rod ends too.

If disc runout is OK (<0.1mm) then the front anti roll bar bushes that are in the lower trailing arm could be worn. Remember the old ford Sierras? They had this problem of judder when braking.

If you are getting the car re-aligned after then the geometry is 3mm toe-in per wheel.

NickT.

NickT

BTW Paul, I'm working late tonight so if you want to come by the office I will have a look at it for you. Ring me first before setting off though.

NickT.

NickT

Just had a thought, did you torque the wheel bearing nut to 165 ft-lb ?

NickT.
Any one know what the thread size and spec the thread on the steering rack is, the part that attaches to the track rod ends.
Thanks
Chris
New Rack

We rebuilt a lot of racks in the past 6 years, but if you drive a new rack it is beter thane a rebuilt old one.
Stiffer and a lot beter respons, A lot of old racks are so bad that rebuilt them is only a short time solution.
A new rack cost more thane rebuilt one, but is is also a lot beter.
Thay cost 370 euro, incl new ball joints.

Regards Ed Uding
www.delorean.eu
For £280 I would expect it to be made of solid gold :lol:
Wobblyunder braking when brakes cold = warped discs, or offset hub. Some hubs were never straight from new. Also front suspension bushes, hub nut torque and BALL JOINTS can cause the same.
As Allen said in another post, I got my steering rack refurbished by Driveshaft UK after reading this thread and I'm more than happy with the results. They take it apart, replace the worn joints, bush, boots, etc, pick it up and deliver to your door for no more than £99 plus VAT. It looks and feels like a 'new one' for a third of the price for a new rack.
They've done Delorean ones before, but they did say that if the rack is 'too far gone' they may not be able to refurb it.
All the best
Stu :wink:
Stuart,

Did you leave the tie rod ends on? if so, did you get them back?

wondering if i need to order these seperate when I get it re-built. Smile

cheers
Dave.
Pages: 1 2