The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: insurance is a weird and wonderful thing..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok well deciding to get a quote for a delorean just to work out some costs etc, well i couldnt help but laugh...

It costs me more to insure my £900 probe than it does a delorean worth £16,000

BrillaintSmile

£421.10 for D with adrian flux, thats with 3000 miles tho
£600 well just under for my probe with 10,000 miles

oh edit: thats me being 24 and 5 years ncb
MikeH Wrote:Ok well deciding to get a quote for a delorean just to work out some costs etc, well i couldnt help but laugh...

It costs me more to insure my £900 probe than it does a delorean worth £16,000

BrillaintSmile

£421.10 for D with adrian flux, thats with 3000 miles tho
£600 well just under for my probe with 10,000 miles

Have you tried Elephant? I am not sure if it will insure a D, but I was so surprised when they quote me a sensable price for my Yaris!

Give them a ring!
heh may do that, i used confused to get my current probe insurance, pretty much the chepest with a company ive actually heard of.

I could get norwich union a ring to quote me happy on a D, then when they say they wont insure me sue them for false advertising and buy 1, haha.

hopefully only a year to go, if all goes well a responable payout coming from work
another tip, "Challenge Churchill" - our 'normal' cars are insured with them, I saved £30 on my Cavalier (and I didnt think I could save much more as I only paid £176 the year before!).

My boss, who has used Mercedes Insurance for years, went on Confused.com and got a good quote, but before he accepted it, decided to Challenge Churchill - he saved over £250 compared to his Mercedes Insurance renewal.

Another top tip that I heard on the radio, is to add your spouse/partner/a parent as a SECOND driver (not a named driver) on the policy, as that will often reduce premiums too. We saved nearly £40 on the Avi's insurance by adding me as a second driver Big Grin

Cheers,
ooo good tips, thanksSmile
Insurance is VERY weird. I paid about £2000 last year for insurance on the De Lorean (I can't get classic car insurance because I have no other car, no garage, and I do a lot of miles on it).

My friend with similar age/NCB/license held period whose address is two streets across has been quoted less than that for really stupid supercars like a Diablo or an F40! In fact he paid less for a 2 litre, performance modified Opel Manta than I did for a 1.3l Vauxhall Nova.

Figure that one out!

I certainly hope mine will be significantly cheaper than last year in a few weeks when I get my renewal quote...
hi

is it worth renting a garage.

i pay £35 a month for mine. could bring your premium right down.

also could you limit the miles a bit say 5k or 10k, again might help.

also be carefull on job description.

i am a structural engineer. if you say structural engineer to an insurance company...high premium (as i think they assume you may end up with a jcb parked on your car)

if you say draughtsman, then much cheaper quote.

also a tracker maybe?

if you could spend £500 but save £1000 on the insurance then could be worth it.
definately worth exploring all the options.

However, 10 years ago I took and passed the IAM Advanced Driving Test (mainly to prove a point to the guys I worked with at Vauxhall), however the only insurance companies who would give discount for being an IAM member were the expensive ones! So for me, passing the IAM test has not figured in lowering my insurance premiums.

AON wanted to charge another £35 if Flopsy was not garaged. Bearing in mind the difference in the values of Rapey and Flopsy, I decided to garage Flopsy and Rapey lives outside under cover - however AON cant take into account that the cars are in a private enclosed driveway off a private road...... they just go on postcode like all insurance companies.

However, I think my insurance premiums are very competitive:

Flopsy and Rapey are on the same AON policy for £293 (fully comp with unlimited mileage), and Guinney is £176 fully comp with Legal Cover and Protected NCB (I had full NCB anyway). I have a clean licence, Phill is second driver on all policies, and I'm the wrong side of 35 now.... :wink:
MikeH Wrote:£600 well just under for my probe with 10,000 miles

600 quid?!!

Who the hell is that with?

You need to take a trip to moneysupermarket.com
heh, its with barclys, oh well ill keep paying for it as its monthly for now, 25 next year so it should drop sharply and will look further afield for a better quote