The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Aircon recharge??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So after travelling for upwards of 40 miles today in the 30 degree heat, both the Mrs and I were rather hot!!
As you can guess, the aircon is not working..... my first port of call is to get her checked for leaks and recharged.
But, as I’ve read, our cars are charged with r12 gas and the newer r134a needs upgrades to the system...... question is what to do?

I don’t really want to start replacing parts of the system just yet!

I have an aircon guy I use, so I will contact him of course, but how do you guys manage with getting regassed?

Cheers
Tris
Great question. I'm in a similar situation! It's low down my priority list, but this hot spell has bumped it up a bit!
I do believe that there is a drop in replacement gas for R12 that's used but for the life of me I cant remember what it is, sorry.
Chris
(02 Jul 2018, 20:51)Chris Williams Wrote: [ -> ]I do believe that there is a drop in replacement gas for R12 that's used but for the life of me I cant remember what it is, sorry.
Chris

I did come across duracool 12a today on my search and various phonecalls......
As yet I’m none the wiser and burning up in the heat Big Grin
I have no experience with changing the gas in the Delorean (mine will need done sometime) but we had several systems at work changed from R12 to R134A over 25 years ago and they are still working okay. They needed an oil change as I remember.

Ian
For a while, RS24 was the recommended drop in replacement for R12, but there's a newer, superior drop in replacement these days now, which is called R437a. It's much more compatible with new AC refrigerant gasses and oils as well as the older equivalents including R12, which is what it was designed to replace. A bit of googling will fill you in and bring you up to date with the information you're after.