The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Tap Tap Tap.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

My engine seems to have developed (or I hadn't noticed before) a tap from the passenger side valve cover.

I've attached an MP3 of the sound if it's easy to diagnose. Does it sound like tappets? The engine's doing 900rpm at that point and hunting slightly.

Initially when I first heard it I described it as a knock, which now appears to be mistaken.

Another thing that maybe related is that I get a backfire into the intake when I rev.

thanks for your help.

Dave.

bozzzydmc

The noise you describe could be an exhaust manifoid gasket leak, they do sound similar.

Try and investigate this .. but be wary that from cold these mnaifolds get hot and quick ( if you are feeling around them for signs of this )

cant hear your mp3 file thou.

Have your gaskets been replaced in your knowledge?

Back fire sounds like a fuel mixture / timing issue
thank you mike.

I will investigate this.

the manifolds have not been replaced to my knowledge.

The mp3 works alright for me (takes afew seconds to D/L, though). Does it D/L and you hear silence or does it not D/L at all?

thanks
Dave.

NickT

remove the cam cover and have a look at the valve train noting the valve clearances (tappets)

NickT.
Quote:Does it sound like tappets?

Sure does. Oddly enough it always seems to be the passenger side...

bozzzydmc

now i have heard your mp3 Smile...yes that sounds like its tappet related to me
RichH Wrote:
Quote:Does it sound like tappets?

Sure does. Oddly enough it always seems to be the passenger side...

Thats because it takes so long to do them the owner says sod this il let someone else do it :lol: :lol: TT
Agree, it's always the passenger side that gets noisy. One of the 'Features' of the PRV

Dan
I've failed in my attempts to silence the tapping. Although, I have reduced it to a point where you have to tune in to the sound (over all the other sounds of the engine) to hear it.

I'll have another go later to see if i can improve on my attempt.

suppose we should be thankful that it's always on the passenger side and not on the other side.

thanks for your help.

Barzo.