The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Centre Console - DIN back to Craig/ASI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure if I’ve posted in the appropriate section...perhaps applies to “electrical” also??

Anyway, does anyone have any guidance/help to convert a din cutout back to original Craig/ASI radio “post” type fitment?

As a non-owner at this precise moment, I have no way of knowing how to resolve this potential issue without having the vehicle in front of me to assess a way forward.

I’m asking because I will be in a position to purchase shortly and see a few cars out there have been modified to DIN.
I’d like the original look, but maybe with the Bluetooth upgrade to a Craig/ASI radio that’s currently on offer.

If fitting the Craig to a DIN cutout is not an option then my other idea is to get a Retrosound radio with a DIN repair kit and fix a Craig faceplate to it..... (seen this done already)
(Although I’ve heard some bad things about the Retrosound reliability if you disconnect the car battery)

Cheers
Tris
Not sure tbh, as you know they sell new brackets for DIN but not the other way around. I wonder if it might be worth asking ChrisN or Ed to keep an old one aside if they swap one out?
Chris
That’s a good idea, thanks Chris.

I also wonder if one of these DIN repair kits could be adapted somehow to the Craig/ASI to allow it to slot into a din opening.... Din repair kit
Quote:Din repair kit
Never seen them, but at 40quid I would be cutting and welding a plate back in! (as a ducks bum)
Chris
Yep! You’re quite right!!! Big Grin

How far off DIN are the Craig’s?
In the US anyway, I have seen owners who want to install a DIN radio, buy a DIN bracket and then sell the old craig one rather than attempt to modify it. So you could buy a craig one and the resell your DIN one. You just have to keep your eye out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/81-Delorean-DMC...SwYc5aA4XW

(mind you, this guys pricing is out of this world)

I have also seen what you are asking, and someone with a DIN backplate offering it as a straight swap to someone who has a craig one.

Of course postage could cripple a deal like that back to the UK.
Thanks DM - I did spot that one on eBay. There’s also one on deloreango.com

I think I’ll wait and see what my options are. Those Craig/ASI Bluetooth radios are £400+ to start with anyway......so I’ll get one of those as a starter......