The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Storage / Parking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do any members keep their DeLorean on the driveway all year round?
I don't have a garage and wondered if these cars needed cover during the colder months. I'm based in London
I think the general consensus is to garage. I certainly wouldn't like my car to live outside on a permanent basis.

This very topic was discussed a little while ago by a recent new member: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5519
As Mike says, All cars benefit from a nice dry garage, even ali ones, but if you ain't got one, you ain't got one. A good quality, breathable cover has got to be the next best thing.
Quote:Do any members keep their DeLorean on the driveway all year round?
There are certainly a good few that live under car ports and driveways with no covers (and some with covers) and a few that live on the roadside with no issues. Personally I would not like mine to live on the roadside but they seem not to attract to much bad attention.
Chris
My car is currently outside on the drive due to my Moggy project refusing to leave the garage-one thing I do is put a piece of polyethelyne under the rear louvre hatch but on top of the engine cover to stop any water dripping into the engine compartment, it seems to work as I get minimal oxidisation on the polished aluminium-my car cover isn't the best so it does get a little damp at the seams, even with waterproofing spray, leaving it a bit loose allows air to circulate under it when the wind blows.
A bit of WD-40 sprayed onto shiny bits helps too. Big Grin
My first and second DeLoreans were parked outside - the first, well, lets ignore that. The second though had a Hamilton Classic car cover. It did (and still does) a great job but there are things you cannot stop, no matter what you cover the car with.
Firstly, cats - they love a nice cover, to sit on and to scratch the hell out of. That happened. In fact, I had to get some wheels refurbed due to it (Monaro).

Second, is where the cover hangs (corners/facias) you can't stop movement and rubbing. Mine, whilst soft, still took the lacquer off the fascias at the rear.

So you take chances and it'll be cosmetic (mostly), but I wouldn't do it again.