The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Part number for oil pressure sender. Available cheaper?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
DMC Europe want near 50 Euros for the gauge sender. Can we not get this cheaper?
DMC Today mention part number PS133 that seems to have an alternate number of OP24731 (need to switch to blade connector)
Anyone know if German and Swedish, or similar, stock this part?
What would I call, describe, our delorean engine as to them?
Funny enough just had one delivered from Ed yes it was nearly 50 euro. I'm sure there would be a x ref but not all other cars had these. I have changed a few engines to the Volvo spec ones and they don't have these fitted (just a blanking plug where it would be) they are just fitted with the oil pressure one so it 'may' be a unique part. There are no markings on the one he sent me either.
Chris
DMC Today mention a 75' Corvette, but would that be an cheaper?
There must be others more local. No?
Ok, crawled underneath and had alook at the oil pressure sender today.
At dash needle is pointing straight up (100psi) even with ignition off, turn ignition on and needle wobbles but doesn't really move, disconnected sender, left cable ungrounded, needle still pointing straight up.
Turned ignition on and touched sender cable against alternator/ground, needle doesn't move.

So does this mean fault is at dash/gauge end?
What should I do next?
I've got to remove binnacle anyway, but how do I test gauge?
Many thanks in advance.
Check first that it isn't the bulkhead connector.

The sender is, AFAIK, unique. The Renault setup used a common sensor, which iis asinine because when it fails, both light and gauge stop working.

John Hervey used to do a sender with a spade connector but I can't find it now (not that that means it isn't there, just that I can't be bothered to trawl through his dreadful website!)
stunned_monkey Wrote:Check first that it isn't the bulkhead connector.

Is that this thing Martin?

[Image: 2015-01-22155325_zps0251c131.jpg]
No, all the multi-plugs under the coil cover. One of the pins is the oil pressure sender-to-gauge.
Asinine Martin? One of JZD's favorite sayings....In fact Ive never heard anyone else use it....until now. :|
Harveys one is on this page: http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/engine.html the one I'm replacing is one of his thats lasted just under a year...
Chris
Asinine is a great word, and you can use it to peoples faces because they usually don't know what it means Wink
Love it! Love having a poke round and finding why something isn't working.
There was a spade connector above the alternator that had come undone, just before oil sender wire disappears into loom.
Back together and oil gauge started working. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

However is 70 to 80 psi normal for start-up/cold pressure...............? :?

http://youtu.be/nFs1XrYGIWs
Quote:However is 70 to 80 psi normal for start-up/cold pressure...............? :?

http://youtu.be/nFs1XrYGIWs

Yes, that's normal behaviour.

DeLorean Electrical Fault Finding Rules:

1. Blown Fuse
2. Bad connection
3. Bad earth

You got as far as number two... Smile
Took these pics a while back (must be due an oil change soon!), just after replacing the oil with good stuff and fitting a K&N premium oil filter (less than a tenner off eBay), it's worthwhile flushing the engine before you put expensive oil in. 8)
Personally i've never been keen on using flushing oil.

The thought of freeing off any bits of crud stuck inside the engine, that may have accumulated over many years and putting them into this thin oil solution and pumping it all around the engine, bearings, big ends etc….before draining it out…goes against the grain.

I think a better idea would be a gallon of cheap oil run until the engine is hot and then replaced with the decent stuff.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has done much research on this? It's only my gut feeling of course.
Pages: 1 2