The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: New front tyres...what do you think?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Right guys, well I know a few of you are going to hate these already but I'm sure a few of you will love them!

Managed to pick up a set of mint Good Year Eagle STs for the fronts (195/60r14) which I've never seen on a DeLorean before. Only £30 so was rude not to. Going to put them on with a set of Eagle GT2s for the rear. Both have the raised white lettering.

Thoughts appreciated! Big Grin

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
white lettering + 80's car = Cool Big Grin
How old are the tyres?
The date code on the tyres will soon tell you...
I too would be wary of old tyres, having read a story about a man who was killed when his 'original' tyres on his MG failed at 50mph,
he wanted the car to retain its 'period' concours look, sadly it cost him the ultimate price Sad
aye good point,

i had the origional tyres on my bond bug, first time i drove it, came off the motorway onto the slip road, braked, and shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkkkkkk they just locked up, no grip as they were rock hard!
next day i changed the wheels and tyres for some brand spanking 12 x 6 revolutions with falcon tyres (so i kept the origional dunlops and tyres togather for display purposes)
Oh yeah, don't worry, they're purely for asthetics & will stay in storage for a while, they are beginning to harden so not sure if they'll ever make in onto the car to be honest & I have a brand new set of fronts & rears going on their shortly!

The date code looks to be 26/03 & would appear to be correct looking at the condition.

I've decided I'm going to hassle Good Year on a daily basis until they finally snap & re-run the original NCTs... Big Grin
I am one of these people who really love the white lettered tyres. Boasting a set of Pirelli's all round on my car, I have to use white tyre letter paint pens to colour mine in, but it never lasts long, always needing to be topped up etc. But i really do love the look they give. Different from most other cars you see every day, and Americanises the car even more too. I've even considered using the white paint on my ordinary cars' tyres, but for fear of "looking stupid" since they are "normal" cars, i've just been sticking to doing it for the D'. I can get away with it more on that car, without feeling embarrassed. :oops:
Haha Rissy, I think the white lettering on American cars look great but that's a bullet dodged by not doing it on your other cars! I don't think I've ever seen a 'normal' car with white tyre lettering & probably for good reason! :lol:

Can you post a pic the lettering on your Pirellis please, I'm quite interested to see what it looks like as they're chunky lettering as far as I can remember right?

How long does it last & I presume water from the road & washing the car has a severe effect on it's life?
I've looked out a few piccies here. I started off with just doing the outlining of the lettering of all four tyres, but lately i've actually been filling in totally for the rear ones. These pictures are a mixture, some older and some later, to let you get an idea for the differences. Sorry I don't have any better ones closer up...
..a couple more...
bit OTT on the white lettering dude, personally, i'd just colour in Pirelli P6000, not the size etc. Smile
RobScott Wrote:bit OTT on the white lettering dude, personally, i'd just colour in Pirelli P6000, not the size etc. Smile

...each to their own eh. Anyone ever told you "if you can't say anything nice..."

I like symmetry. There are 3 "Pirelli" embossings, and then the tyre size. So I didn't want to only do two. (Since I'm having to defend my actions. - I like it anyway)
hey dude, I'm not saying its wank, just that personally I think its too much.

If you post pictures of your car on internet forums, expect others to have their opinions of your modifications.
Keep in mind that opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one Wink

Personally I would adopt the same approach as the Eagle GT's, and just do the outline (but being lazy I can't be bothered to keep recolouring the tyres when it fades off, so I've never done mine)

The tyre size markings on the GT's were embossed also, but not coloured.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Also, Rissy, have you tried this stuff? (not sure if it's available in the UK) http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-WALL-TIRE ... c9&vxp=mtr
aye, and but if you didnt have an arsehole, you'd be full of shit.... Mr Green
Pages: 1 2