The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Advice on import car
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

Can anyone advise on what they think the oil might be bottom right in this Picture? Its from a car im looking at bringing over from the states.

Rich
Only thing that has oil in it anywhere near there would be the steering rack and I doubt that would be it. I would 'suspect' it's more probable some one has applied it to the rubber bush to perhaps stop it squeking!

Chris
I agree, or it could be old grease that has been used years ago to lube the
anti roll bar bush (I've done that job before, what a total git it was) pretty
much as Chris has said.

Nowt oily that far forward of the steering rack, so wouldn't worry too much.
Thanks guys,

Appreciate the responses. Just trying to get as many pictures from the seller as I can. Want to make sure the car is mechanically sound. The darkness of it made me think oil not a lube of some description. Am I right in thinking no powersteering on the Delorean?

Rich
Quote:Am I right in thinking no powersteering on the Delorean?
You are, but can be retroffited if desired. Ed @ delorean.eu does a set up and I think a couple of guys on the Irish forum have had another system fitted as well. If you need it that is.
Chris
Rich,

will give you my thoughts on the pics you have provided....

as an experienced mechanic & delorean owner i will say the chassis looks top notch no signs of spot rust , the welds look clean with epoxy coating.
The antiroll bar bushes may have been coated with grease Ive seen cars like this, guys coating a smear of grease around the bushings to counteract squeeking rubber against polished metal
Also all the hose clips looks good...everything looks straight to be honest.

suggest you get photos of the rear tie rod area from the chassis to wheel, the chassis around this area has a void that can trap water & corrode Mr Green yes can be a hiding devil that can go unnoticed....also get a pic of the chassis the area below the master cylinder again another area.

best of luck hope it all works out for you

dave
Rich,
Don't worry about that bit of surface rust on the ant-roll bar, most are like that, They only ever had half a coat of paint when new. An hour with a wire brush and a small tin of black Hammerite will sort it.

I am slightly concerned with your lack of knowledge about the car, you should be reading up on everything available on the DeLorean, get close up to one, have a ride in one. Any local owner would I'm sure be happy to assist and explain any the joys and tribulations of DeLorean ownership.

(Sorry if you have covered all this before, I have only recently got back into these news-group thingy's)!

Having owned 13 Delorean's over the last 15 years, I still love them to bits. But remember, any Classic Car is not like a modern car. My Kia is totally reliable, never misses a beat, but is rather boring compared to my DeLorean. ( it will also be worth 75% less than I paid for it in 5 years time, whereas the DeLorean will be 25% more)

With what I have seen, if you have the money and the price is right.......go for it....