The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Gearbox Seals replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

Just wondered if anyone could give me an idea what I would be looking at cost wise to put this right? Pictures attached.
Rich
Is the oil dripping from around the drive shafts? If so, I am just changing mine on Vin522 .

I bought a pair of oil seals and gasket set ( unused as yet) for about £33 off eBay. Hell of a job to get one roll pins out!

Should have it all back together tomorrow.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying. This is a car I am looking at importing currently. So asking for as many pictures as I can. Just wondering how major a job it is.

Rich
...I have a similar issue with LEX. I've been told that the nearside drive shaft seal is needing to be replaced. I did ask on here about this before, as I'm unsure of what seal I need to buy to have replaced etc, but unfortunately, I never got much feedback. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4331 I have another leak around the gearbox/gear lever connection seal too. This also needs replacing. There are so many parts around these areas, it is hard to know what generally is replaced around these areas upon such leaking occurrences. I was, and still am unsure of what I should be buying to fix these two leaks, and indeed how much I should be charged for getting the garage to do these for me....?

The only reason I've not chased this more to try and bottom out what I need to buy to get these fixed is down to the fact that the car was being put away for the winter. Because I'm only taking the car out for Yorkshire this year, unless it becomes and MOT issue, then I doubt I'll get this fixed this year either. BUT, if it DOES become an MOT issue, then I WILL be in a bit of a rush to get help to order the necessary parts quickly (I'd have preferred to have them in advance of the time I need to get the leaks fixed)
Depends how pernickety you are about appearance, but honestly, it only looks like a tiny dribble, I wouldn't worry...
The drive shaft seals are not too bad to do and replacements can be bought locally for only £3 each! I know because I wrecked one of the proper brown ones today! ( don't push them in too far!) and had to buy another one.

BTW I am very pleased with my new set of Stainless Steel water pipes made by the Exhaust folk at Nottingham. Cost about £250..
Thanks all, looks like its not to serious then. No reason to be put off this car.
Quote:BTW I am very pleased with my new set of Stainless Steel water pipes made by the Exhaust folk at Nottingham. Cost about £250..
Pics?? description?? Can you pop this on the parts bit of the forum or send the details to Eddie for inclusion in the mag please Chris
#2292 was dripping oil really bad from one of the cover plates near the AC compressor,
and it never failed an MOT, even when it dripped (hot) oil on the tester's head :wink:
Can someone give me the idiots guide to up loading a picture? please.
Chris P Wrote:Can someone give me the idiots guide to up loading a picture? please.

Hi Chris,

Click reply, scroll to the file attachement section. Click browse, find you picture on your computer. Then click the add file button. I have added a picture of the screen you need.

Rich
Driveshaft seals are not always to blame for this leak - there'a mahoosive small section O-ring around the diff adjuster which gives the exact same symptoms. You have to look very carefully to see the difference in where the oil comes from. Not too hard to replace though, and a long M6 cap-screw is ideal for drifting the roll pins out.

Chris P Wrote:BTW I am very pleased with my new set of Stainless Steel water pipes made by the Exhaust folk at Nottingham. Cost about £250..

Er.... if your stainless steel coolant pipes are electrically connected to the chassis (which they are if you haven't added insulation), then you're relying solely on the quality of your coolant not to set up galvanic corrosion of any aluminium parts (like the engine block). The s/s coolant bottle is okay because it's electrically isolated from the vehicle ground.
I will check that out Martin.