The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Yorkshire Delorean now has a Delorean :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi

My search has finally come to an end and VIN 2493 is now mine.

Look forward to meeting up with you all at some up and coming events Big Grin
Thank you for the help given to me from this club so far!

PS: whats the best thing to use to wash them? I have heard some interesting tales about certain brands

thanks mike
Deloreanyorkshire Wrote:Hi

My search has finally come to an end and VIN 2493 is now mine.

Look forward to meeting up with you all at some up and coming events Big Grin
Thank you for the help given to me from this club so far!

PS: whats the best thing to use to wash them? I have heard some interesting tales about certain brands

thanks mike

You don't need to wash the car. :roll: The all Aluminium body shell is radioactively charged for proper flux dispersal. This gives it a naturally occurring repelling feature which not only resists every type of atmospheric dirt or physical contamination known to man, it also dissolves the very finger prints from people's fingers if touched (except for 4yr old girl's jammie fingers! - So beware of that one!). Shock

The reason the all Aluminium body shell was chosen (apart from correct flux dispersal that is), is that it keeps the car in touch with the all Aluminium, Super-Charged, Rocket Fuel propelled V12 Engine used in the experimental days at Jaguar HQ towards the mid to late cold war era when they were asked by the government to go into direct competition with the Russian-made Lada turn outs at the time. :twisted:

A battle Jaguar sadly lost. Sad

To this day, the one and only DeLorean DMC-12 ever built (and subsequently used as a prop in the Back To The Future movies) is the only vehicle ever to have been produced in this way, and if it was ever to be recovered after its puzzling disappearance in 1990, after the filming of Back to the Future 3, it would be not only be worth a pretty penny, it would still have at least another 30 years before the half-life degradation of its amazing, yet deadly radioactive qualities would be low enough for people to get up close and personal with it, without suffering extremely debilitating disease and eventual death as a result. :!:

Some people have managed to create replica versions of this car, based on archive footage, the Back to the Future movies, and historical design photographs. To wash their cars, these people simply use sponges and car wash liquid. :wink:

Oh yeah, congratulations on the purchase of your replica DMC-12! :wink:
Wot 'u sniffin'? Shock Big Grin
He's just hit his head on his wonky car again... :wink:
Thanks Rissy better go and get a sponge then Big Grin
Great reply Rissy :lol:
Everyone seems to have there own idea about washing them, me (on the very rare occasions I every wash it) I use warm water and fairy liquid! seems to work for me and use a industrial glass cleaner to keep the S/Steel clean.
Chris
lol Rissy, you really have done far too many car shows with us lot!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike, congrats on the purchase, if my maths are correct, your car is just 201 vins away from mine (#2292) Smile

Cleaning, well I use Lithuanians, its not worth getting your hands dirty for the sake of a fiver (other nationalities
of hand car wash are available, check your local area/closed down petrol station for adverts).

On recommendation (and seeing it in action), of Brian (BJ Brownie), a really good product for a 'deep clean' is
Shiny Sinks, which you can find in Wilkinsons, Tesco, et al, its about £2 a bottle and lasts for ages.

Congrats on the purchase mate, hope you see you and the car at some meets soon - you coming up to the DOC-UK
summer meet in North Yorkshire in June?
Thanks Claire

Can't wait to get out with you lot. I am definitely gonna try my best to get to the June event so will see most of you there.

Mike
I clean mine with zipwax car shampoo and a chamois.

For cleaning the stainless bodywork I substitute a regular car sponge for a Dr Power Magic Eraser Sponge which comes in a block and you just cut down to size, it does a really great job of getting any ingrained crap out of the grain. I use a regular car sponge for the bumpers and trim.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-Magic-Spon ... 19d9d33c00 This is pretty much the same as the magic eraser sponge, and cheaper too.

I've had plenty of compliments on the look/condition of the bodywork, and it's never had a drop of polish on it since I've owned it.
MikeWard Wrote:I clean mine with zipwax car shampoo and a chamois.

For cleaning the stainless bodywork I substitute a regular car sponge for a Dr Power Magic Eraser Sponge which comes in a block and you just cut down to size, it does a really great job of getting any ingrained crap out of the grain. I use a regular car sponge for the bumpers and trim.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-Magic-Spon ... 19d9d33c00 This is pretty much the same as the magic eraser sponge, and cheaper too.

I've had plenty of compliments on the look/condition of the bodywork, and it's never had a drop of polish on it since I've owned it.

Even easier to obtain, and it's what I use to clean out the grain as well as normal washing in the same way as yourself, is the same thing again, but a whole lot cheaper than Tesco.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _29662.htm

(I'm a big fan of Aldi :wink: )
I use those magic sponges to get rid of the unfortunate mix created by magnolia walls
and a toddler with a red biro............

Amazing stuff, never thought about trying it on the De!
I actually use an air line to clean the back of my car, I refuse to spend more time washing the damn thing than driving it Smile

I also recently used a low grade scotch on a rubbing block to reapply grain to all panels, the amount of dirt that came out was insane even though she looked clean.

Congrats again on the purchase! Big Grin
Quote:I also recently used a low grade scotch on a rubbing block to reapply grain to all panels, the amount of dirt that came out was insane even though she looked clean.
For a really bad (read very dirty) car Mr Muscle grime and lime works a treat! Shock would not advise it as a daily wash, but used with a scotchbrite pad with the grain on cars that have not been cleaned in years it really works a treat!
Chris
Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:I also recently used a low grade scotch on a rubbing block to reapply grain to all panels, the amount of dirt that came out was insane even though she looked clean.
For a really bad (read very dirty) car Mr Muscle grime and lime works a treat! Shock would not advise it as a daily wash, but used with a scotchbrite pad with the grain on cars that have not been cleaned in years it really works a treat!
Chris

Great tip. It's crazy, imagine talking about cleaning any other car "looks a bit dirty, I'll get the scotchpads out" haha!
I have used scotch pads too. The only problem with them is that prolonged use actually smoothes out the brushing in the metal. Fine if you want a mirror finish...eventually. (even harder to keep clean!)

has anyone tried this stuff....?

http://www.atb-bargains.co.uk/ekmps/sho ... 3911-p.jpg
Pages: 1 2