The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Import of VIN #10719 halted by Hurricane Sandy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yeah, just my luck. Everything was ready for the car to leave the US on Friday from New York and would you believe it a Hurricane hits! I'm hoping the car hasn't left Indiana yet (pretty sure it hasn't), but even if it hasn't I doubtful that it will be leaving on Friday considering the news.

Glad I went with marine insurance now. Seemed expensive at the time, but seems like common sense now!

Looking on the bright side if the car survives the Hurricane I might give her the nickname of Sandy. Big Grin
What is the ETA for you car? Better safe than sorry I guess.
god knows now StarGlider. The power is out in NY until next week by the look of thing. Wondering if trying to get it out of another port might be a good idea. Just waiting on an update from the shipping agent over at Hill Shipping. Not sure if its better going from another port?
hope everything goes ok - Sandy - that does mean you'll have to play the Grease soundtrack in the car :wink:
lol, yeh. God I really don't like that film as well. Good news is that hopefully the car will now be going out of Baltimore, rather than New York. Might get her back to the UK for Christmas Big Grin No date of collection for the car, or a booking on a chartered sailing either, but I'm hoping to have that early next week. Fingers crossed.

On the brightside the blog is looking better all the time. Just done a re-design of the background etc and added more links, posts etc. What do people think? http://www.delorean-dream.blogspot.com
Looks very good to me, will hopefully inspire some other potential UK owners as well.

Chris
Well, good news all-round. The car left Indiana yesterday, and will be in Baltimore tomorrow ready for a charter out to Southampton on Sunday the 11th of November. ETA in the UK of the 5th of December, just in time for Christmas. The xmas present of all presents Big Grin

The seller, Rick Vermillion in Indiana, has been wonderful, not to mention very understanding with all the hassle due to the storm. He's taken photos of the car being loaded on the truck and off on her journey. When he send them over I'll post them on here, as well as on the blog at http://www.delorean-dream.blogspot.com

I just have to decide what to do when she gets here. Do I get her transported to P J Grady for a once over and all the mods for the MOT, transported straight here to the Midlands and I'll do them myself, or shall I even go down there and drive the car back myself. Shock

What do people think?
I would not risk driving it back, no MOT and all that, though in theory I suppose you can on trade plates! but it's an unknown car. If you feel confident to do the mods yourself then do so. Most are not difficult to do. However it's down to what you feel up to doing and if your happy to pay someone else to do the work. At least it would give you a bit more confidence if someone else has given the car a once over as well!

Chris
As you have essentially bought it "sight unseen", I would send it to Grady's for a once over. I have heard that sellers (not specifically yours) are not always entirely truthful, so should there be any problems, the sooner you know about them the better.

You won't have to research getting the bits and bobs you need for the MOT, and it will therefore be driveable all the sooner. There will be plenty of time for research for whatever "suggested fixes" Chris N comes up with for long term satisfaction.

He can also get it up on the lift and give that frame a thorough inspection too.
Chris N can be very busy - he's a 'one man band' essentially, so if he's already got
worked booked in, it may be some time before he can get around to yours.

Whereabouts in the Midlands are you? This area is quite a 'hotbed' of DeLoreans in
this area, so if you made a list of jobs to do, then you could always organise a 'tech sesh'
and I'm sure a few of us would be able to come round and help you out and give you some
advice.
here are some pics of VIN#10719 leaving Indiana on the transport.

[Image: on-her-way1copy.jpg]
[Image: on-her-way2.jpeg]
[Image: on-her-way3.jpeg]
[Image: on-her-way4.jpeg]
[Image: on-her-way5.jpeg]
Wow! Some car trailer. :lol: Long as!
...The start of "Sandy's" LONG journey home, on the longest trailer ever. Smile

Nice to see the previous owner has gone to the trouble of doing something as simple as protecting the interior as they have. Conscientious.

Hope she makes it home safe, especially after all the trouble of documenting her story on your blog. Will be great to see her next year.
Cheers Rissy. Me too! Ship gets underway on Sunday, so not too long now...

Yeah, I asked if he could sort the plastic out for the seats, but he did the dtearing wheel as well. Great job as well. Should help keep the oil and dirt off.
One interesting thing I've found out from the seller is the fact that the car didn't have a clock originally (has the ASI radio), but had the centre column which featured the space for a clock. It was then fitted (soon after leaving the factory) with a period cruise control unit, the switch for is located in the spot normally used for the clock. Strange! The Binnacle has also been covered with pressure wrapped leather.

As for the black stripes, no news on that....
Pages: 1 2 3