The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Left hand Delorean
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm looking at getting a left hand drive Delorean in the next month, and was wondering if anyone from around Leeds would be kind enough to meet up to let me have a feel of the car to see if a manual will be suitable, or if going for an auto would be more sensible?

I currently have quite a naughty drag car so if speed is your thing I'd be happy to return the favour! 8)
BTTF or not BTTF, that is the question. :wink:
Rissy Wrote:BTTF or not BTTF, that is the question. :wink:

You'll have to wait and see Ris :wink:
Regardless, manual is the answer. Always manual. You want to drive the car, be one with the machine, not just sit in it. That's for the passengers to do.

Manual in LHD is easy once you've been at it a couple of times on some decent drives.
Rissy Wrote:Regardless, manual is the answer. Always manual. You want to drive the car, be one with the machine, not just sit in it. That's for the passengers to do.

Manual in LHD is easy once you've been at it a couple of times on some decent drives.

I see your point, but with all the traffic around here I'm sure it would be just relaxing with the auto. I have never been one for autos, but when downgrading so hugely from what I currently have in the performance department, I'm really not bothered about changing gear. I loved driving a left hander in Florida when I was there with an auto box.

You offering your car as proof that I need a manual? Smile
Quote:Regardless, manual is the answer. Always manual. You want to drive the car, be one with the machine
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he wrote! Smile
However as there were more Auto's built than 5 speed then the choice is somwhat limited. However a lot of people prefer Auto's to drive and that does not make it wrong.
Have you not thought of hiring a car for the day? You may struggle to get someone to lend you one and at least by hiring one you get to try it out properly on different roads and driving conditions. Probably a small price to pay in the long run.

Chris
lukebrynycz Wrote:I have never been one for autos, but when downgrading so hugely from what I currently have in the performance department,

Careful sonny! :wink:
Reposting.... Wink

MikeWard Wrote:I would encourage you to take a trip down to the Cotswolds and hire kckoopa's car for the day, it will give you the chance to get up close and drive a DeLorean, and you'll also get a chance to see peoples reactions when you are driving along - it may help influence your decision on a stock car. http://www.greatescapecars.co.uk/cars-delorean.asp

I agree with Rissy, manual is a doddle once you've got used to it - if you hit traffic, just think of it as a nice bit of exercise for your left leg.
Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:Regardless, manual is the answer. Always manual. You want to drive the car, be one with the machine
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he wrote! Smile
However as there were more Auto's built than 5 speed then the choice is somwhat limited. However a lot of people prefer Auto's to drive and that does not make it wrong.
Have you not thought of hiring a car for the day? You may struggle to get someone to lend you one and at least by hiring one you get to try it out properly on different roads and driving conditions. Probably a small price to pay in the long run.

Chris

Good point Chris! Any for hire around West Yorkshire?
Rissy Wrote:
lukebrynycz Wrote:I have never been one for autos, but when downgrading so hugely from what I currently have in the performance department,

Careful sonny! :wink:

It's completely true though, I have to be honest with myself Smile You get used to what you have had and when you go for a classic with less performance it will be extremely noticeable. I currently have 350hp per ton with 365fp torque to catapult me forward. In my eyes, i'm going for a cruiser, something that will make me feel special in many other ways.
...you canny catch the burds whilst going at 300mph in a cloud of smoke and noise! Better to coast by slowly, with a big smile on yer face, and a wee wink. Mr Green

(don't show your fiance this post :wink: )
Rissy Wrote:...you canny catch the burds whilst going at 300mph in a cloud of smoke and noise! Better to coast by slowly, with a big smile on yer face, and a wee wink. Mr Green

No, but you can strap your camera to the dash and watch her boobs jiggle! :lol:

I'm just wanting a different direction with cars now. This car is so insane, that I have yet come up against another that I can't pull away from, and believe it or not, that does actually get very tiresome. The hilarity of beating insanely expensive supercars in something that shouldn't, has given me a huge grin for 8 years now, but the joy of owning a Time Machine will satisfy my car passion in many other ways. 8)
lukebrynycz Wrote:
Rissy Wrote:...you canny catch the burds whilst going at 300mph in a cloud of smoke and noise! Better to coast by slowly, with a big smile on yer face, and a wee wink. Mr Green

I'm just wanting a different direction with cars now. This car is so insane, that I have yet come up against another that I can't pull away from, and believe it or not, that does actually get very tiresome. The hilarity of beating insanely expensive supercars in something that shouldn't, has given me a huge grin for 8 years now, but the joy of owning a Time Machine will satisfy my car passion in many other ways. 8)

PMSL !!! :lol:

I have to say, even after 10yrs of ownership, I still do the 'shop window' thing when sitting in traffic, amazing
how good the cars look (even when they are filthy as mine often is lol).

My daily hack is a 136bhp Omega 2.0 Auto Estate, which is fairly pedestrian feeling, so I do get a buzz giving the
De a bit of a ragging now and again, even though most boy racers in their Citroen C2's would probably have no issue
in showing me a clean pair of heels in the Traffic Light Derby :lol:

I do find the 5spd very easy to drive, plus you've got the ability to change gear and indicate at the same time - ah but
then being female, I can multitask :wink:

So, if you're 'oop norf', that means you've got no excuse not to come to the big DOC-UK meet up next year in North Yorkshire Big Grin
lukebrynycz Wrote:

GOD! I get bored listening to you drone on about this super fast car of yours...

Anyone here will tell you we can beat you in your super fast car any day of the month!... we'd simply arrive at the finishing line before we have even left the starting line... :wink:

(I've some what grown out of the whole boy-racer dragging along public highways to the reward of an increased cost in fuel for driving my car. My M3 and I would beat your car, by simply not trying in the first place. Yawn)
Quote:Good point Chris! Any for hire around West Yorkshire?

Not that I know off.
Quote:MikeWard wrote:
I would encourage you to take a trip down to the Cotswolds and hire kckoopa's car for the day, it will give you the chance to get up close and drive a DeLorean, and you'll also get a chance to see peoples reactions when you are driving along - it may help influence your decision on a stock car. http://www.greatescapecars.co.uk/cars-delorean.asp
This is the way to go, just do it, it's not that far from you and enjoy and find out what the fuss of a D is all about.

Chris
Pages: 1 2