The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Historic Road Tax E-Petition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
thought I'd pass this on, as with our De's now 30 yrs old (or nearly 30),
this applies to us!

Get your sigs in, and pass the message on to other forums and contacts Smile

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.g ... itions/183
I think the goverment didnt expect quite so many applications for historic vehicle free road tax last time it was offered, and thats probably why the b*ggers are reluctant to hand out any more! Bet they dont commute to the corridors of power in any car older than 2 years. 8)
possibly not, but I know there is a 'House of Commons Classic Car Club', so there
will be support from within....... :wink:
I always thought this was out of order when they stopped the rolling 25 year
exemption . My sig is in

Nick H
nice one Nick, spread the word!! Big Grin
I got this from an editor of a classic car magazine when I asked if his publications were going to pro-activly support this campaign and received the following.....

'Hello James

It's important that tax exemption is reintroduced, but from what I've been told off the record by ministers, it ain't going to happen until we are out of recession.
There is an intention to do it though, which is a good move forward.

I've signed, but I won't make a big thing of it until there is a genuine willingness to listen at Westminster.
'

Make of that what you will.

J
interesting stuff James, and thanks for posting this on the forum Smile

I like the word 'intention', thats a positive step, and I can understand that
the Government of the day needing to make sure the country can afford a
tax break like this.
They use "the current situation" as an excuse for just about everything. but why some areas of society get clobbered harder than others is what I hate.

The only *fair* taxes are income, VAT and duty, and those where the money earned goes directly towards the cause for which they're collected (council tax in theory, road tax definitely not!).

It was on the news the other day that the govt is going to cut subsidies to the railways, so ticket prices are going up again. It's small wonder that we're a nation of car-lovers and the govt just quetly rubs its hands and grins.

The motorist is a cash cow to the exchequer, and the only way to avoid owning a car is to take public transport... so they make that as uncompetitive as possible. Call me a cynic!