The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: DELOREAN WANTED!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
All great news Chris, nice to hear from you!
Hi Steve

For what's it's worth I'm also going to throw my two penneth in to the ring.

I've just imported a D back from Texas (currently with Chris Nicholson) and I can tell you it was a totally painless experience. I bought a very rough runner at the cheapest end of the market. I thought this would limit any disappointment when the thing landed in the UK (hope for the best, but expect the worst sort of attitude).
The seller was a pleasure to deal with - I would imagine a less cooperative sort of chap would make the experience nerve racking to say the least. And what with the 5% import duty (currently classed as a collectible, who knows if this will change though?) Then it was kind of cost effective too. HOWEVER, 4468 did have loads of 'issues' that Chris is sorting for me. And these 'issues' translate into high costs for me (I only plan on the car being with Chris once, therefore I thought I'd maximise its time there with him).

But I have to agree with what others have written so far. A DeLorean is a toy. A lovely big grown up one, but a toy none the less. I saved up hard for 8 years to buy this one (and even now I shudder slightly at the money I have spent so far on a 'toy'.) I've dreamed of owning one since I was about 9. So some 30 years later I have finally got one.
However, if ever the choice comes down to the D or my family (and it is a close call - joking :? ) then of course the 'toy' would have to go. So getting a loan and that sort of stuff, troubles me slightly. If you can save for a few more years I would do that Steve. Yes I know boring and sensible etc.... But it's not worth putting yourself in debt over I think. You may come to resent it, and that would be a shame really.....

Cheers
Steve
Lots of good advice from the guys so far, you'd be wise to take note- but there's a lot to be said for jumping in feet first and saying "What the hell"! I did it with #10556 11 years ago, and have never regretted it, I've owned many vehicles over the years of all types, but not one has come close to the DMC for just being an iconic car, plus the fact values are going up all the time and I bet in 5 years buying a DMC will be put slightly further out of reach for buyers.
Maybe you should look to the future rather than today, these cars are not going down in price, and if you do by chance get one cheap be prepared to spend money on it, but there's a few good clubs that will help you out with problems and parts! 8)
FWIW Steve bought a D in 2011 - Colm Nugent's old car, VIN 5706 AXI 81
Pages: 1 2