The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: BTTF car at Universal Studios, Florida
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I've recently returned from Florida and while I was there I spent a day at Universal Studios and even though the "BTTF" ride was closed down back in 2007 (I still haven't forgiven them for this as the replacement "Simpsons" ride is rubbish) I still was confident that I'd find the car somewhere around the place.

Eventually I spotted it round the San Francisco themed area of the park but it looked in far better condition than I remember when I last saw it in 2007. I haven't put any photos on here (they're on Facebook though) but I'm certain this is a completely different car.

The tyres were brand new, the vents at the back were totally different, the interior looked tidy compared to how ripped it was before, and the panels were all straight. Basically it looked like it was a useable example which it hadn't looked like since I saw it in 1994.

The VIN on the car they have there now is 64?? but I don't know what the other cars is. Does anyone know this as I'm curious about it being two completely different vehicles?

I know neither of these cars has ever been in a film as they're obvious replicas, but I'd just like to know.

Thanks.
cheers for the info Mike, I think this smacks of the typical US mentality of 'replace rather then repair' - hence why my car was on Ebay as a spares car rather then a fixer upper when I bought it.
Guinney1971 Wrote:cheers for the info Mike, I think this smacks of the typical US mentality of 'replace rather then repair' - hence why my car was on Ebay as a spares car rather then a fixer upper when I bought it.

You're absolutely right Claire. The one I saw a few years ago was in such a poor state that I don't think even a full down to the chassis restoration would've saved it, and the condition of the one they have now is so good that it can't possibly be the same car.

One thing that is nice though is that even though the ride is now no longer with us they still felt the need to have a DeLorean on site, so they must respect its iconic status.
The vin is 006475, this is still the same car, it's just had a make over.

In actual fact, this car was used in the film. It was the "wheelie" car in part III (the one that pop's the wheelie on the track), you can see the metal bracket used to create the sparks in the below pic.

Photo credit, T_Stanley - OffTo55
[Image: DSCN0063.jpg]
wow!!! Shock Big Grin
Ah, 6475 rings a bell now you mention it. I knew it was 64 something so I was half way there I suppose.

If that's the same car then I'd love to get whoever did it to work on my Talbot Solara because every single piece of that car is either new or have been completely taken back to basics.

Just from memory I know the tail lights on the "old" car were faded to almost clear, the interior was carelessly screwed to the chassis as it was falling apart, the front fascia had a severe case of the "eyebrows", and basically every panel had some sort of ding or crease and nothing lined up to even the usual DeLorean standard.

With this in mind and the fact that the car now on display has none of the above features/faults it beggers belief that someone would go to so much trouble for something that no longer has a ride in the park and could be reproduced through the use of eBay more easily than bringing a ruined car back to health.

Do you know for certain that the VIN on the car was 6475 before because I would seriously doubt that it was purely because of the marked differences of now and a few years ago.

Also, the car used to be in a plinth next to the ride and in all the years of scrutinising it I can honestly say I am certain the bracket shown above was not there, which further indicates that it's a different car.
It's definitely the same car, if you look at this shot of it on the plinth, you can just make out one of the brackets (circled)

[Image: 2003_0224_124146AA.jpg]

Apparently all the new parts were purchased from DMCH, but the actual restoration work was carried out at Universal. In addition to the new car parts, more accurate TM specific parts were added at the same time.

The VIN is correct as far as I know. There is a whole topic discussing this car over on offto55.com
Fair do's.

I don't like to be proved wrong (who does?) but it looks like it is indeed the same car as I spent the best part of 15 years watching decay outside the "BTTF" ride at Universal.

The most amazing thing is how much trouble they've had to go to in order to get the thing back to some sort of recognisable condition, so fair play to them for doing that.
mikesumner Wrote:Fair do's.

I don't like to be proved wrong (who does?) but it looks like it is indeed the same car as I spent the best part of 15 years watching decay outside the "BTTF" ride at Universal.

The most amazing thing is how much trouble they've had to go to in order to get the thing back to some sort of recognisable condition, so fair play to them for doing that.
I do aggree, all they have to do know is put the ride back to how it was!

Chris
mikesumner Wrote:The most amazing thing is how much trouble they've had to go to in order to get the thing back to some sort of recognisable condition, so fair play to them for doing that.
True, though I am pleased they restored it vs taking another perfectly good DeLorean and turning it into a BTTF replica. (not that i'm against them, I definitely think they have there place)
Couldn't agree more with both you guys.

It just baffles me that rides like Jaws and E.T., which are older than "BTTF" and have less of a following are still carrying on to this day, which is why I wrote to Universal back when they announced their intention to close the ride and expressed my displeasure.

I wouldn't exactly say my views were taken into consideration though, but as we all know there are no better decisions than those made by management :lol: