The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Wanted: Passenger side rear light cluster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys.
I need one for 20114, the indicator lense is faded on the old one.

Thanks
...suggestion for cheap alternative (never tried before myself - simply a brainwave) :

You could go to Hobby Craft and pick yourself up some plastic friendly transparent paint.

http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/shop/glass-paints

This link shows for glass paints but i KNOW you can get the same thing (in many different colours!) for plastics too (unless the glass ones ARE suitable).

I went on a wacky rally holiday a couple of years ago and did the car up like starsky and hutch and with it, we wanted a red flashing light for the roof (something somewhat difficult to find unbelievably enough) so had to settle for an orange one like you see on a forklift truck and then I painted the inside of the orange lense with red transparent plastic-safe paint i bought from hobbycraft in Glasgow. Worked a treat! You could NOT tell it had been painted, even when the light behind it was switched on and shining through.
And it was a PERFECT red too. You couldn't tell it had originally been orange!

You might not want to have this on a permanent basis for yor car (depends on the finish you get i guess) but at least it would be probably enough for you to get through an MOT or until you get a proper new replacement.
(I'm presuming that its because of an MOT that you've been pulled up about it)

..Just an idea.
Thanks, but the lenses I have seen repainted before have never looked as good as new. The drivers side light cluster is new so they would mismatch and look poor
Wierd isn't it, how it's always that side... (I have the driver side one from this car going spare!!!)
The faded lights fairly ruin the back of the car.
Sorry chap, nothing doing, I was going to suggest the orange paint thing myself. That's what mine has been on for about the last four yrs or so. However, both mine had faded equally so they now look identical. It's not a bad job though, and it might be worth doing it as a temporary step - at least until a new cluster turns up - I think it was about £2.99 for a thimbleful but that's easily enough.

I think I did one of Shane & Ian's car's light clusters at Norfolk one year with the leftovers, and it wasn't bad at all.
Thanks guys, got sorted locally with a new one.