The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: AA Breakdown Cover - An important Message
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

Sorry long

Not DeLorean related but I thought I would share a recent experience with the AA which made me quite angry and may serve as a warning to others.

1st off I have to say I have always been very happy with the AA's service and despite this recent event I will possibly maintain my membership.

Just before Chrismas (after the snow had cleared) I was driving my Fiesta in a queue of traffic at approximatly 10MPH and they was a clunk followed buy what sounded like bits of metal falling from the car, I pulled over and could see that the front passenger side wheel was tucked up into the wheel arch.

I suspected that the spring had collapsed (pretty common in modern cars according to many automotive publications) and the car was pretty undrivable (wheel was rubbing on the arch).
I called the AA (with whom I've been a member of 7 years non-stop) and told the lady that I had had a problem and when she asked me to describe the symptoms I said that I was driving along and suddenly the front suspension seemed to collapse, almost as if I had run over a pot hole.

I suggested that it was unlikly that it could be fixed by the roadside, foolishly I thought this was actually being helpful :roll: .

With out drawing breath the AA operator told me that I had been involved in an 'Road Traffic Accident' :o and that was not covered under the T&C's and that I would have to pay £104 for recovery. I was shocked but they had me in an impossible situation so I coughed up and a recovery vehicle arrived and took the car to a local garage.

Anyway I was determined that I hadn't had an accident later that evening I walked the road looking for debris or a pot hole and found nothing (I did find the missing half of my spring).

Anyway after a long debate back and forth with the AA who wanted me to prove that I hadn't been in an accident (which is near impossible when you think about it) I today managed to get them to refund my money.

It all hinged on the words in bold above "Almost as if" after much back and forth it came down to the fact that on their recording of the conversation I had said "as if", 2 words which ensured I received my money back.

So in summary

If you breakdown for any reason play dumb and don't suggest any cause for the breakdown.
Ironicly this will actually add to the AA's costs as they will send a patrol to you to try and fix it 1st which if it's major mechanical failure they won't be able to before sending the tow truck / low loader.

All sorted in the end but I am still angry that they effctivly will have had my money for almost 2 months!

James
Thanks James, a good warning.

The other bad experience I have had with them is on car insurance via a price comparison website. (Genuinely can’t remember which one).

I was trying to insure a cheapie which I bought last winter, and I wanted breakdown cover with it. Usual format - just type in the reg. number and away you go – so I did, and the details came up correct – 1996 Peugeot 405 estate etc etc.

The AA were the best priced insurance cover which also included breakdown recovery. So I clicked on it and read all the details, and was about to sign up when I noticed a thing they had about not covering cars over 10 years old.

But obviously as they had the reg number, they knew exactly how old it was, so I thought that that must be an oversight as they had clearly offered their services via this website. So I phoned them up, and was told no, under no circumstances do they do cars over 10 years old.

I was pretty annoyed by this, they knew the car details exactly (and therefore its age) and they were quite happy quote and for me to sign up to a deal that they had no intention of honouring, and it was only when pressed that they said they wouldn’t! Grr.

Happy Motoring!

R
mmm, how many times have I attended a breakdown where the caller has stated that the steering seems faulty to have found it embedded into a roundabout/tree/kerb Etc Etc. The caller knowing full well that they will have to pay for an RTA recovery :roll: moral of the story say you dont know..

Chris
I had to join the AA in an emergency some years ago (ie pay to join so I could get recovery). Was quite annoyed until they got bought by Centrica and I doubled my joining fee with a windfall payment Mr Green

Polly and I were with the AA till last year when they decided we'd used them too much and wanted to charge double on the renewal. Polly complained and they immediately dropped it to the standard renewal. We're now with the RAC who gave us a new member discount Mr Green
Quote:Just before Chrismas (after the snow had cleared) I was driving my Fiesta in a queue of traffic at approximatly 10MPH and they was a clunk followed buy what sounded like bits of metal falling from the car, I pulled over and could see that the front passenger side wheel was tucked up into the wheel arch.

Out of interest what was wrong with the car anyway?? failed spring or bottom ball joint?? from experience it's usually springs nowadays :roll:
chris
Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:Just before Chrismas (after the snow had cleared) I was driving my Fiesta in a queue of traffic at approximatly 10MPH and they was a clunk followed buy what sounded like bits of metal falling from the car, I pulled over and could see that the front passenger side wheel was tucked up into the wheel arch.

Out of interest what was wrong with the car anyway?? failed spring or bottom ball joint?? from experience it's usually springs nowadays :roll:
chris

The spring just cracked and fell apart, of all the driving I do it was fortunate it happend at a very low speed.

The garage looked at the spring parts and just concluded that is had a weak spot which had devoloped in to a crack and eventually failed.

J
Ahh, thats the norm with springs, it will be why Fords no longer use the same spring manufacturer. Mind you it's not just Fords, that have this issue, a lot of manufacturers are having problems. My wifes old Rover 75 which used all BMW parts had the same problem as well :roll:
Chris