The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Imports
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I reckon this has been discussed to death but how much on top of the cost of the car does it cost to bring one in from the US?

You see them cheap on eBay (I can feel you cringe!) and it does seem like the cheap way to source one. Or it did until the USD became so expensive!
If you know what you're doing, much cheaper cars can be had from the US, yes. If you don't know what you're doing, you may find it a very rewarding experience as you restore a car to health yourself. Buying a good reliable running delorean for a reasonable price is difficult - and no matter how good the seller says it is, you can guarantee there will be things that need attention.

The answer to your question is anywhere between $1000 and $2500 depending on where in the US it is, whether it runs or can be towed, or has to be stuck in a container.

You will have to pay tax on both the purchase price and the shipping cost upon arrival into the UK. This will of course be going up on Jan 4th :evil: So the cheaper you can buy the car and the more work that needs doing that can be done here, the better the deal you are likely to get.
I'm currently knocking around in a Cadillac that obviously originated from over there. They didn't half ruin it with the ugly indicators and fog light they fitted for the SVA.

I assume it would be a similar deal with a DeLorean? Luckily the speedo is in MPH in America or that would be another thing to change.

With that being such a stringent version of the MOT I reckon it must be where a few importers must come a cropper!
Cars older than 10 years only need an MOT
I think it was once 'guesstimated' that on average you need to add 30% to
the sale price of a car in the USA to work out what it would owe you sat
on your driveway (and thats before you start spending your hard earned on it...)
Mine will arrive at Southampton on 18th December,and will pick it up on the 23rd.
When I get a final total I will let you know.
cool, just in time for Chrimbo Martyn!! Big Grin

You gonna get the guys on the docks to giftwrap it for you? :wink: