The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Pilot 9 surfaces
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
James Espey is reporting that Pilot 9 has been found in the states. UK plate OPW 651W

Follow the action on DMCTalk:

http://www.dmctalk.com/showthread.php?t=19337

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=19517&d=1288994438]
so whats it doing in the US on UK plates? Was it shipped out there when
'new' and has been laid up ever since?
Amazing, these things keep appearing. I'm sure there are a lot more to be found as well...

Chris
Guinney1971 Wrote:so whats it doing in the US on UK plates? Was it shipped out there when
'new' and has been laid up ever since?

Apparently so.

James E is planning a visit in the next few weeks to get the full story, but it looks like it was exported 30 years ago, and has been sitting ever since.
Amazing
So mine wasn't the only one registered in the UK before being shipped to the US.....

The current theory, is that some of the cars were driven around the UK (mainland) prior to being shipped and may have been assigned to company staff, which is why they have different regional locations rather that what we judge to be 'standard' Northern Ireland plate.

The plate you quote for pilot-9 was released in 1980 somwhere if Norfolk.... whereas mine was released in Middlesex.

Does anyone know where I can find an early DeLorean staff home addresss list ?!

John C
The theory that the cars were driven about the UK by company staff could well be correct.

A good few years ago now the fuel injection accumulator packed up on LJH.
I called the AA who I was covered with at the time. The guy who came out
said he had a few dealings with D's in the early 80's.
He recounted a DMC staff member who he had Relay'ed back to Holyhead.
The guy had blown the engine( 8) no speed cameras then :lol: ) on the way back from Norfolk (Lotus?).

Wish I'd got the AA mans name.

Maybe some of the Ex. DMC employees would know who was driving. As I am sure the fact someone blew a engine got on the bush telegraph.
I remember a test driver at the company I did my apprenticeship. He took a DB7 out to Millbrook and it swallowed a valve on the A14. This sort of info. soon gets around! :wink: (Luckly for him Clarkson had thrashed it the week before and so got the blame! :lol: )

Regards
Nick H
JohnC Wrote:So mine wasn't the only one registered in the UK before being shipped to the US.....

The current theory, is that some of the cars were driven around the UK (mainland) prior to being shipped and may have been assigned to company staff, which is why they have different regional locations rather that what we judge to be 'standard' Northern Ireland plate.

The plate you quote for pilot-9 was released in 1980 somwhere if Norfolk.... whereas mine was released in Middlesex.

Does anyone know where I can find an early DeLorean staff home addresss list ?!

John C

I think the difference here is that Norfolk (Norwich I think) is also where Lotus are based, and as an early pilot it is believed to have been built there (indeed OPW 654W and..655W are known Lotus cars, one a Bond car no less) and tested around the area.
I certainly remember one of the Esprits from For Your Eyes Only was OPW654W. The white one with the 'Special Security arrangements'. (Blew up when some one with a briefcase broke the window!).

Which led to the escape scene with the 2CV.

"I think we're being out-horsepowered!"