The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Newly refurbished steering wheel with subtle customisation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My better half Jane has laid down the law and I need to shift this quick!

I have a newly refurbished DeLorean steering wheel, handstitched real black leather with silver stitching, looks really sharp and would be a great addition to any DeLorean but especially a grey interior car, the grey stitching ties the wheel nicly to the interior (it was actually meant for my car Sad so needless to say I'm a bit gutted)

I'm selling at below cost price as I've just had my ear chewed about spending money on DeLorean stuff when we have more pressing wedding bills to pay.

Does not include the centre cap so keep your original and I will require your old wheel in return.

£130 + £8 UK P&P + I will require your old steering wheel in return

I have listed this elsewhere, payment via cheque/cash, no PayPal I really can't afford to loose the pennies.

This is a 1 off, once it's gone I won't be able to have any more done pre-wedding (November)

Thanks all,

James
Foto?
stunned_monkey Wrote:Foto?

I'll get some pictures when I collect it tonight, but it's sold (subjct to contract lol)

J
stunned_monkey Wrote:Foto?

I'm so pleased with this, I wish I'd been able to keep this for my car :-(

[Image: s_wheel_1.jpg]

[Image: s_wheel_2.jpg]

James
that looks the dogs danglies mate, can see why you're gutted.
It does look V nice, fairly expensive though (but normal for a one off i suppose) trouble is you would have to get a new centre to make it all look that good!
Chris
Chris Williams Wrote:It does look V nice, fairly expensive though (but normal for a one off i suppose) trouble is you would have to get a new centre to make it all look that good!
Chris

Hi Chris,

I think the price is pretty fair, most places (those who would even do steering wheels) quoted around £150, and I had to buy a spare wheel to start with, my idea was that somone would be able to order a wheel of me, it would be sent out and then they would return their old one to me, that way people don't have to take their car of the road when they want a new wheel.

Huston charge around £100 more than my price for their refurbed wheels and you still have to send your old one to them (+postage and duty would rule it out for UK owners).
Other than the spare wheel I purchased I won't have any money tied up in the project as I will just have them done to order it's about a 7 day turn around.

As for the centre cap I was unable to find a 2nd hand one, so people will have to hold on to their original, my upholsterer said that he could trim the centre cap but he said the best method would be to revive the original surface with a spray (similar to those used on tierd DMC internal trim panels) he uses Liquid Plastics and said that it would come up like new and be very durable.

I may have my wheel re-done next year at which point I will have the centre cap done as well

James

p.s. if anyone has a spare centre they are willing to sell..... Big Grin
£130 is a very good price for a well-trimmed wheel. I've paid over £200 for a fantastic job, but have also seen some pretty nasty cheap efforts. You get what you pay for...

As for the centre boss - the snag is that they go porous. I have one but it's in dreadful shape and I don't think any amount of re-skinning can make it look like the rest of the wheel. You can't trim them because they end up fatter than the rest of the wheel, unless you pad that out futher as well.
stunned_monkey Wrote:£130 is a very good price for a well-trimmed wheel. I've paid over £200 for a fantastic job, but have also seen some pretty nasty cheap efforts. You get what you pay for...

As for the centre boss - the snag is that they go porous. I have one but it's in dreadful shape and I don't think any amount of re-skinning can make it look like the rest of the wheel. You can't trim them because they end up fatter than the rest of the wheel, unless you pad that out futher as well.

Might I be able to buy or borrow your knackered one?, I was tempted to make a slightly smaller replica and then have it trimmed so that the extra thickness doesn't cause a problem.

If you ever have one that is split cracked or dammaged in any way I would still be interested if nothing else for experimental purposes.

James
130 was a great price for that wheel, looks excellent.
I think £130 is a very good price, if funds allow next year I'd deffo be interested in having Flopsy's done, its worn and shiny in places and on damp days it leaves little black marks on my hands.

Hmm, I take it your bloke does any steering wheels, could get the one on my Astra Convertible done too Big Grin
I have a carpenter who did so far 6 Delorean wheels, in excellent quality. He is doing also mine.
Price is way less than 130 £. If somebody is interested let me know, send me PM.
Unfortunately the steering wheel is required, but the postage is less and there is no customs to pay...
Bopat Wrote:I have a carpenter who did so far 6 Delorean wheels, in excellent quality. He is doing also mine.
Price is way less than 130 £. If somebody is interested let me know, send me PM.
Unfortunately the steering wheel is required, but the postage is less and there is no customs to pay...

Sounds good, I think it's just lucky if you can find somone to do a good job at a good price.

I have to say I had my own wheel done about 6 years ago by a local sail maker for only £60 and he did a great job.
Unfortunatly I was working on the car and got some chemicals on my hands and before I washed them I moved the car Shock and the result was the steering wheel went all blotchy Cry .

I'd have used the same guy this time but he has retired to the Bahamas!

I do think the leather that was used on this latest wheel was far superior to what my sail maker freind used, it feels much nicer to the touch.

James
JamesRGUK Wrote:
Bopat Wrote:I have a carpenter who did so far 6 Delorean wheels, in excellent quality. He is doing also mine.

Sounds good, I think it's just lucky if you can find somone to do a good job at a good price.

I have to say I had my own wheel done about 6 years ago by a local sail maker for only £60 and he did a great job.
Unfortunatly I was working on the car and got some chemicals on my hands and before I washed them I moved the car Shock and the result was the steering wheel went all blotchy Cry .

I'd have used the same guy this time but he has retired to the Bahamas!

I do think the leather that was used on this latest wheel was far superior to what my sail maker freind used, it feals much nicer to the touch.

James

He is a really good carpenter, but as you know the prices here are a lot cheaper than in UK.
I would not recommend him if I would not know how he is working...
Hi is this still for sale?

M
Pages: 1 2