The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: A puzzle for all.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
:? :? :? :? TT

bozzzydmc

In the words of Alan Partridge....

"Yes your right.....................................and so am i "

Smile :lol:

I still dont get it .....surely a plane needs air movement under the wing to take off ..... ......so when it lifts off the conveyor ....it then wizzes off into the distance... i cant see that....

Anyone want to discuss time travel?.... its far simplier......... :wink:

Ramdomly this made me laugh Smile

http://www.addictinggames.com/whatislove.html

arranj

yeah but no but - I agree - the plane takes off, but if the wheels are going 40mph, shouldn't the conveyor belt be doing 40mph as well as stated in the original question - i.e. argument is impossible because of the laws of physics.

bozzzydmc

Yes exactly the wheels and conveyor belt are moving at the same speed the faster the engine goes the faster the wheels and conveyor turn ... why would that make the plane take off and fly ??? :wink:
hang on, I think the penny has just gone clattering to the floor.........

remember guys, the wheels arnt driven!!!!! the conveyor belt moving south at 20mph with the plane going north at 20mph, means the wheels are freely spinning at 40mph - so if anything the plane will probably take off faster?

Martin, am I right :?: Big Grin

arranj

Well, it's making too many assumptions that aren't possible - i.e. friction etc. In reality the plane would move forward, the conveyer belt wouldn't keep up and it would take off.

To highlight my point - imagine turning off the engines and turning the conveyer belt on full whack. It would be some "tablecloth trick" to stop the plane being sent backwards and falling off the conveyor belt wouldn't it?
arranj Wrote:yeah but no but - I agree - the plane takes off, but if the wheels are going 40mph, shouldn't the conveyor belt be doing 40mph as well as stated in the original question - i.e. argument is impossible because of the laws of physics.

The original question states "the conveyor matches the speed of the wheels" (well, basically).

It is perhaps ambiguous. The wheels are moving (in space) at the same speed as the plane. You're driving along at 70mph in your car, the wheels are, ipso facto, also doing 70mph.

The wheels on the plane are travelling at the same speed as the plane. They may be SPINNING twice as fast, but TRAVELLING at the same speed as the plane.

The plane moves as normal, relative to the control tower. All the happens is the wheels spin faster.

Clear????

arranj

Claire - you are right, but I would assume the point of the question is that conveyor belt speed is based on the wheels, not the plane - i.e. doing 40mph.
I think gravity and friction come into it somewhere, but all of the assumptions are confusing me ??!!!!
Claire Usher Wrote:hang on, I think the penny has just gone clattering to the floor.........

remember guys, the wheels arnt driven!!!!! the conveyor belt moving south at 20mph with the plane going north at 20mph, means the wheels are freely spinning at 40mph - so if anything the plane will probably take off faster?

Martin, am I right :?: Big Grin

About everything except the plane taking off faster. Because it'll lose a small amount of power to spen the wheels faster, it'll take a little longer and use a bit more energy. Tiny proportion though.
cool Big Grin

Can I go and have that beer now? :lol:
arranj Wrote:To highlight my point - imagine turning off the engines and turning the conveyer belt on full whack. It would be some "tablecloth trick" to stop the plane being sent backwards and falling off the conveyor belt wouldn't it?

Yes but this movement would be solely the friction of the wheel bearnings - a tiny fraction of the power of the engines. If you set the engines to thrust only to the point where they overcome the friction of the wheels, it'll sit still in your example..

bozzzydmc

stunned_monkey Wrote:My simple answer is this: The plane will move forward as usual and therefore gain airspeed and have the ability to take off.

If the wheels and conveyor are moving at the same speed surely the plane doesnt move forward, the plane is stationary.... the faster the engines try to move the plane forward the faster the conveyor moves the faster the wheels and the conveyor spin ... no air movement under the wing no take off..

Planes need air movement under the wing for lift ... there isnt any.

:lol:
any1 feel like writing into brainiac to get them to try this outTongue

bozzzydmc

Its like running on a tread mill, you have to match the speed or you end up on your bottom... too fast you crash off the front of it .... if you keep with it you will just go faster and faster....

Maybe i will strap on some wings next time .... :lol: :lol:

bozzzydmc

MikeH Wrote:any1 feel like writing into brainiac to get them to try this outTongue

Yes i can just see Hamster in a jet powered plane .... no hang on !! maybe its not a good idea ........ :o :o

If it works in principle then why hasnt any one done it , we can get rid of all those long runways :o :wink:
Pages: 1 2 3 4