The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: LIVE SEARCH alt to Google Earth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

simioid

Google Earth is very cool, but I have been introduced to something even more impressive LIVE SEARCH http://maps.live.com/

When I checked out my own address I could identify my vehicles parked outside my house. Wonder if you can see your Delorean at yours.

Just enter your postcode and your off.

Gary
Doc 257
Ohh wow! Far more detailed than Google Maps, but the images you see are a lot older than Google. For example, the photo of my house was taken when my Dad was re-doing the lawn on the front garden, well over a year or maybe 2 ago... also, DMCH hasn't even been finished according to Live, the warehouse is built but theres no car park or even DeLoreans parked outside that you can see on the Google version. Great find though buddy, just they need to update their image database :lol:

bozzzydmc

Very good but the 3d map of my area is at least 10 years old ...still its very cool to see better detail than the google earth one.

Cheers!

dmcdj

if you zoom in you can see the back to the future area in florida Big Grin
and here's me trying to find my house!

check out heathrow...looks busy. Shock
I like that :lol: i feel like a spy :lol:
TT
mmm, I think that you will find all the airports are around 10 yrs out of date. Long time since I saw some of these areoplanes flying!
Chris
yeah, doesn't work on Opera, either.
Microsoft's choice. I like this. I'm told it's partially helicopter rather than satellite photography, which accounts for the detail and the funny perspective. It's nice to actually be able to pick out my own house -- Google Earth only seems to care about good resolution for the US. I can't wait until we have a realtime one of these and I can go into the garden and watch myself watching myself watching myself...
Well, there are also places in the UK which get excellent resolution on Google Earth, but both my house in Nottingham and my parents' house in Essex are just huge blurs, you can barely even see the roads! On this one I can see my house and driveway clearly. If they'd update it to more modern photos I'd be able to see the DeLorean on the drive. :)
Microsoft making something deliberately not work on a mac, Never Big Grin

Used to work for them as the head of there Mac Department in the UK. I was the boss of 3 people whilst Word has a team of 50. Oh and they didn't do Word on the Mac support, Guess who did that !!!

Photo's are good. Goggle has nothing for my house but this has and I can see it was taken about 4 years ago as there is a silver and a blue Elise on the drive
And DMCL is there aswell. No Deloreans outside though Sad
Rottbott Wrote:Well, there are also places in the UK which get excellent resolution on Google Earth, but both my house in Nottingham and my parents' house in Essex are just huge blurs, you can barely even see the roads! On this one I can see my house and driveway clearly. If they'd update it to more modern photos I'd be able to see the DeLorean on the drive. Smile

The aerial shot of our village is better then Google Earth and we can actually make out our bungalow and the driveway. The Heanor/Eastwood area also has birds eye pics - I saw Rich's house with UDH under cover, but with what looked like his old Sierra parked down the road - but I think that died a death a few years back. Also got a good view of Phill's old house when he was part way through building Sorbet's garage.

The photo's of Stevenage are way out of date though, as the one of my mum's house show's her old Sierra on the driveway - and that was replaced by a brand new Clio in 2002. I think the Stevenage ones were taken pre-2000, as I can see 2 of my Mk1 Astra's parked outside my old maisonette which was sold in March 2000.