The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: How much road?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Teg

I just was curious to find out, how much road a standard DeLorean does need to get up to 88 mph.

Yeah, you've guessed it I've been watching the showing of BTTF on ITV1 this afternoon :S

Would be interesting to know.

Teg

Teg

janvdwouw Wrote:I THINK that with a proper driver it can be done in less than a quarter mile...

Proper driver? Do you mean a racing driver?

Let us assume a 17 year old kid, who has recently passed his driving test Wink
A standard DeLorean can not hit 88 in 1/4 but it takes a lot less time than depicted in the film, that's for sure.
at Santa Pod Raceway back in July, Rich and I were 0.3 secs apart, doing the 1/4 mile in around 17.6 seconds at 76 mph - we are both running 'stage 1' set ups, mine by DMC Ltd and Rich's via the local scrapyard for a tenner (and Rich won btw.... :? )

I'll dig out the tickets that we got at the Pod and confirm the exact times/speeds, but I think I'm not far off what we did.
All comes down to timing. and not fiddling with it. Also that dirty great hole in the back box of yours claire wouldn't of helped and the drivers driving style.

Anyway Richard always drives like he is driving Miss Daisy :lol:

For reference on the same stretch of road that I use for tests, No I dont know the length of the road, a standard D could do 65, A Stage I could do 78, My Stage II with good brakes could do 89. all before a very hard left corner. However my other car can hit 131 before I have to brake for the same corner Big Grin
Is third gear required for 76mph? I'm assuming so, I think second tops out about 65mph but I don't know how deep into the red line it can actually go. I'm guessing that second shift wastes a lot of time.
Rob if memory servers me correctly yes third is needed. I know a 100 in 4th is possible.

If you can powershift then you dont lose to much acceleration but it sure dont sound nice and takes allot of practice to get right

As for red lining the engine it can be done but it comes down to when peak power is delivered. It's not at the red line. Also make sure you engine is well looked after before giving it nuts off!!!
In all fairness to Claire, 0.3 secs is as near to no difference as makes no odds - you can lose that on the start line. I know everyone at the Houston raceway were struggling to hit 85 on a stage II engine. Chris H and I were closest and I beat him by 0.01 of a mph (84.66mph) which just goes to show I'm obviously a better driver.

Rich's scrapyard mod may have only cost him a tenner but someone had to tell him how first...... Big Grin

Had an absolute riot on the Boxing Day tunnel run in the Skyline. Got an approving "your car ain't half quick" from a VX220 owner *result*! Anyone interested, see this excellent vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Ms0bXw1js - I'm in it briefly in the Westferry circus and on the A13 on the way out

NickT

Quote from 'The Fast and the Furious'

"It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning" 8)

Mind you I won't be winning any races as my cars front end is completely in bits as we tidy up the bodywork...... Shock

Teg

NickT Wrote:Quote from 'The Fast and the Furious'

"It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning" 8)

Mind you I won't be winning any races as my cars front end is completely in bits as we tidy up the bodywork...... Shock

I have started quite a debate on here!
Plus I'm in the middle of watching The Fast & Furious Trilogy too. Saw first two movies back to back last night, final Tokyo Drift tomorrow night.
Nice video!! What was that filmed with? Bullet Cam? Shame there weren't any D's. I hate driving in London and yes your Liner' is rather quick! Shock

Oh also mate, what music was that? It was on a mountain bike stunt video I have from 1998, always wanted to know the track?
Daniel Shane Wrote:Rob if memory servers me correctly yes third is needed. I know a 100 in 4th is possible.

If you can powershift then you dont lose to much acceleration but it sure dont sound nice and takes allot of practice to get right

As for red lining the engine it can be done but it comes down to when peak power is delivered. It's not at the red line. Also make sure you engine is well looked after before giving it nuts off!!!
Of course, I usually shift about 5500 rpm, there's no point going further on a stock engine. But you might knock half a second off your time if you could go from 2 shifts to 1 shift.

Suggested rpm to launch from off the line? I get nasty juddering (clutch I assume) if I take it too high.

Edit: I don't want to imply that I do this sort of thing a lot. I'm just curious.
trialmedia Wrote:Nice video!! What was that filmed with? Bullet Cam? Shame there weren't any D's. I hate driving in London and yes your Liner' is rather quick! Shock

Oh also mate, what music was that? It was on a mountain bike stunt video I have from 1998, always wanted to know the track?

I'm in it briefly, not filming it! It was taken from a TVR Cerbera with 4 seperate bullet cams on it.

The music at the start and end is the theme from the Saint.
the Moby remix of the saint actually Mart Wink

oh and I've just bought a bullet cam myself to try out some sexy shots. Watch this space Smile

(but at the moment I'm De-less so I'm having to plat with it on my truck)
Daniel Shane Wrote:All comes down to timing. and not fiddling with it. Also that dirty great hole in the back box of yours claire wouldn't of helped and the drivers driving style.

hahaha - cheeky bugger - although Flopsy seems alot happier now with your old back box on - although as for the driving style, I probably held her around 3000 rpm before I dumped the clutch and didnt take it over 5500rpm before changing gear - no point as there is no extra power beyond there and all I'd be doing is wasting fuel. As the only time I'd ever drag raced before was in Houston in a Sebring Automatic Convertible, my experience was somewhat limited Smile

I'm not sure what my car was set to 'timing wise' that day (2nd July), but it was about 3/4 weeks before you came up with the exhaust and checked her over for me.

Anyways, I need to get Flopsy tidied up for New Years Eve - its film theme fancy dress at the pub, so no prizes for guessing what we're going as!
Pages: 1 2