The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Good Starting point DeLorean $5000
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

bozzzydmc

yes but expensive when shipped here, tax etc.

don't get why the engine change, which to me de-values greatly, certainly in this country.

that with the damage etc

sounds like it would easily chew through 10k and it would still have previous body tub damage
Is originality really valued that highly that what could be regarded as an improvement (the Eagle 3.0, which can just be looked at as an engine the Delorean might have ended up with had it remained in production a few more years) will knock that much off the value here?

How much do you reckon it would knock off? £1k, £2k?

bozzzydmc

Just saying imo it looks like a good start to get onto the D ownership ladder, just based of course upon what i have read..

Doubt at that price it will be up for sale long ...
Yes, Mike I agree with you! I'd have made the guy an offer if I hadn't already bought 7176...
An engine swap done properly doesn't instinctively knock any value off the car - but it does limit your buyers a little bit. Some buyers are looking for originality, others want a DeLorean that goes a bit faster, others just want a car like the one in BTTF and don't really care what engine it has.

Pretty much all of the engine swaps that we've seen come through the shop have all used Volvo/Renault engines, which aren't dissimilar from the original - and parts are easily available. If someone implanted something a bit more exotic, maintenence could become an issue - and the regular parts/workshop manual becomes useless.

Darren
Yes

to me (and i think to others) originality is the most important thing.

i would not touch a car with an engine swap, unless it was a factory prv and then with 30-40% off.
the engine is the heart and soul of the car.

remember this is a classic car, not a nova/205/punto/corsa etc.
Would you take a E type jag and put a mustang engine in?.

remember the Stag.
An unoriginal engine Knocks serious money off its value.
and that divide will get worse the older it gets as fewer original cars survive.

i for one will not even change the Craig. it is original and came out the factory that way. it suits the age of the car, and when you se it...you know you are in a Delorean!!.

Steve

bozzzydmc

steve.s Wrote:i for one will not even change the Craig. it is original and came out the factory that way. it suits the age of the car, and when you se it...you know you are in a Delorean!!.

Steve

Blimey ...you die hard you Wink I agree... then i did change mine :roll:

Regards

Mike
i know...a bit sad but i like nostalga.

i want my car to look as it did in 1981!.

the only thing i would consider is a bttf kit, but only if removable and not damage the car.

and only cause the films are fantastic!

anyway, you can keep the craig and wire a cd in the glove box or under the seat, or a boot changer by the spare!.
Interesting discussion about value of the car with an engine swap - I guess it's horses for courses.

I'd be happy to pay extra for a D with a newer, more powerful evolution of the original engine, but maybe I'm in the minority...

It's not like someone's shoehorned a Rover V8 in there or something :lol:

NickT

steve.s Wrote:Yes

to me (and i think to others) originality is the most important thing.

i would not touch a car with an engine swap, unless it was a factory prv and then with 30-40% off.
the engine is the heart and soul of the car.

remember this is a classic car, not a nova/205/punto/corsa etc.
Would you take a E type jag and put a mustang engine in?.

remember the Stag.
An unoriginal engine Knocks serious money off its value.
and that divide will get worse the older it gets as fewer original cars survive.

i for one will not even change the Craig. it is original and came out the factory that way. it suits the age of the car, and when you se it...you know you are in a Delorean!!.

Steve

Blimey, DarrenC has some competition here then !

He wants an oem heat shield of the catalytic converter !

Mine you, I am glad to say I am using NEW oil and not the original ones Big Grin
Kidding..........

NickT
yes, i am a stickler for originality.

was upset when i could not skim my original discs!.

and Chris N suggested changing my fascia as the original seems smaller than others.

but i like it that way!

anyway, for originality Phil Peters is the man!!.

His RHD was fantastic when he bought it, and will be perfect when he is done!!!

he has taken out the steel tank as it did not leave Wooler-hodec with it in!, same for the rear lights.

yes the craig sets off the car properly!