The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Photo of RHD DeLorean, black interior needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I need a nice, hi-res photo of a black interior RHD DeLorean, preferably from an angle like shown here. This is for an article for "deloreans" magazine. PM or email james@delorean.com if you can help - credit and copies of the magazine for the supplier of the photo.

James

[Image: pside-interior.jpg]
One for you Mr Chrispy :lol:

Chris
Or Mr Peter's car if it isn't all in bits at once.... Tongue
can't you just flip it?

[Image: pside-interior.jpg]

non-symmetrical details are wrong I suppose. :?

bozzzydmc

Smile

Well he could i suppose, but there are differences on the RHD cars ...how the binnacle sits on the modified dash for example.
yeah Smile

also the speedo says he's doing 85 at 7000rpm Smile
bozzzydmc Wrote:there are differences on the RHD cars ...how the binnacle sits on the modified dash for example.

The binnacle sits just the same as on a LHD car, since they used the same brackets and fixings.

[Image: 12178.jpg]

As with all DeLoreans, it depends if they were fitted properly in the first place and / or whether they've been tampered with by a previous owner.

Cheers,

Phil

bozzzydmc

Phil Peters Wrote:
bozzzydmc Wrote:there are differences on the RHD cars ...how the binnacle sits on the modified dash for example.

The binnacle sits just the same as on a LHD car, since they used the same brackets and fixings.

[Image: 12178.jpg]

As with all DeLoreans, it depends if they were fitted properly in the first place and / or whether they've been tampered with by a previous owner.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil

Not that this really matters matey but it is my understanding that the RHD cars used modified LHD dashes...?

If this is so then the angle of the dash on the RHS on the car is sightly different on this side making the binnacle 'point down' slightly more?

Just my observations on the two WH cars I have seen and comments made by others in the past ...like I say its not really a problem Smile
bozzzydmc Wrote:...like I say its not really a problem Smile

Of course not buddy, it's just interesting to us DeLorean anoraks Big Grin

I can only speak for my car when I say this (unless Andy Withers will let me dismantle the interior on his car?! Shock) but the mounting area under the vinyl dash which the binnacle attaches to seems to be custom fabricated. The knee pads definately are.

I've yet to remove the dashboard to have a look at the underside of it but hopefully this will be coming out fairly soon so I'll take a few photos of it and the area underneath as it will be interesting to see how it was all put together.

I'm still trying to find some sort of marking or sticker which might give a clue as to the car's original VIN number. I've checked all the obvious places and there can't be many left to check!

Cheers,

Phil "Time Team" Peters

bozzzydmc

Not asking you to post the numbers but presumably your car has a frame, engine and gearbox number ...are these low numbers ?

#2001 has a frame number of 1986 and and engine number of 1850 (ish) which kind of ties up with the vin.

I have seen a few pictures of vin numbers written on the rear cross member prior to the rear facia being attached ... never taken mine off to check to see if one is in there though Smile

Oh is there a little red round sticker behind your front under bonnet light ? that will give you a QA date for the bonnet bit Smile
Yes, they are all low numbers. In fact my frame is exactly 100 numbers higher than VIN# 500 Shock

Good point about the hood sticker, although I suspect all the hoods were swapped or fitted later on after the conversion work, hence the flat hoods. Nevertheless it'd be cool to see where abouts in the production run they pulled the hood from.

I really like the idea about checking behind the rear fascia! It wouldn't be quite as easy for the factory to scrub the number off the frame there as it presumably was to take the VIN plate off the dash and glue a new one on, so maybe it's still there. Food for thought definitely, cheers Mike Big Grin

bozzzydmc

Is your dash vin plate glued or rivetted in Phil ?

If its glued then maybe there are rivet holes which you can see underneath when you remove your dash ?
I wrote an article for 'deloreans' titled "DeLorean Secrets Revealed" that appeared in Vol 4, #3 which talked about various places the VIN can be found. The one on the rear cross member is most likely to remain and removing the rear bumper cover and closing panel as one piece is not that tough. Then it's just removing the impact absorber.

James
Phil,

The photo at the right of your sig, is that one available high-res? It would be great.

James

bozzzydmc

Hi Phil

I know 'anyone can write what they like on "wikipedia"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lorean_DMC-12

but im really interested in this :-

Only 16 right-hand drive factory authorised DeLoreans were ever produced. This handful of cars can be divided into two distinct groups:
1. The first batch, known by enthusiasts as the “Wooler-Hodec cars”, were converted by a company in the UK called Wooler-Hodec. Evidence still exists in the form of a DMC factory memo which orders 20 cars to be converted to right-hand drive. Due to the factory’s closure, this order was never completed and today a total of 13 cars survive, carrying the VIN numbers: 510, 12171–12181 & 12199. VIN# 510 is understood to be the first of this batch of cars converted and was later sold at the factory auction in 1984. The other twelve cars were auctioned off by the receivers in early 1983. As a result, several of these cars were registered at the same time and have the Northern Irish registration (licence) number "SIJ xxxx". All of this first batch of cars had a black interior and all had manual transmission except VIN# 12175. This car is the world’s only right-hand drive black interior automatic car and is owned by a former Editor of the UK DeLorean Owners Club.

2. The second batch were registered and used by the factory in Northern Ireland, with registration numbers (license plates), AXI 1697, AXI 1698, AXI 1699 and are referred to by enthusiasts as the “AXI cars”. These three cars (VINs 5565, 5592 and 5638) differ from the Wooler-Hodec cars in several ways. These three cars all had roof mounted radio aerials, very small round front side marker lights, no rear side marker lights, white forward-facing door lights, fog-light switch, and textured body rubstrips on the stainless steel panels. No catalytic converters or Lambda equipment were fitted as British legislation did not require them. The car with the registration number AXI 1697 was reputedly a fully UK homologated example which would have been shown at the British motor show at Birmingham, UK in October 1982.

Can you shed any light onto where the second batch was actually #converted # ...yes I can see these were "registered and used by the factory" but who actually did the conversion ?

Cheers Phil

Mike
Pages: 1 2 3