The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Driving across the states...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, has anyone ever bought a car say in California and then driven it across to the East coast for shipping? How did you bypass getting plates and where did you get insurance?

I have just spoken to the Calfornia driving agency and they say i need to register the car and pay the $120 fee plus $1700 youth tax (whatever that is).

Anyone know any top tips to bypass all of this? I have the title and bull of sale........

Any info would be gratefully received.
Just drive the damn car there, how will they know?
Andy westerman did a similar thing , the car now belongs to patrick kielty

TT
I am told its the equivalent of driving over here with no tax disc or plates The 2700 miles journey would not be particulary fun knowing i could be locked up by a state trooper at any moment. Wouldnt be too inconspicuous either as its a General lee Dodge Charger Sad I think there are ways around it but I cannot seem to find what they are.....
chris

i sent chris p a e mail asking him to send you andy phone no, for some advsie on what we was talking about today matey hope it helps :lol:
Hi Chris,

I drove from Boston down the east coast to Florida Keys (north to south) across the USA back in 1985. (No BTTF pun intended)

We had a problem with the title deed as we didn't have a fixed USA address, and a hotel was not accepted.

You have a couple of choices here.

Buy the car, insure it (use the previous owners address and your name, with consent) then just drive to the port ready for shipping (even if it is 3000 miles away) Then just let Customs deal with the title on export.
It all depends on how friendly the seller is.

Otherwise, do as we did it, just blag it! (NOT recommended) as we had a 5mph rear shunt in a bad ass area in Miami, had to pay the guy off!

Good luck, it's a great adventure!

Best Regards
D

bozzzydmc

Heck thats a hell of a way ....

But seriously by the time you account for the flight over and back , insurance ( if you decide to take it and fuel etc etc it must be cheaper and less hassle to get the car hauled the distance... plus i wouldnt want to drive a classic car i had just bought all that way ....

( Great story though Barren I admire your courage ! Wink )
best way i reckon is, buy one unseen ship it over and then cry like a baby when you see it , oh hang on thats me im talking about Cry only joking :lol: TT

A Van

If memory serves me I think Andy did get stopped somewhere, he also appeared on the webcam at Houston!
Darren C Wrote:Hi Chris,

I drove from Boston down the east coast to Florida Keys (north to south) across the USA back in 1985. (No BTTF pun intended)

We had a problem with the title deed as we didn't have a fixed USA address, and a hotel was not accepted.

You have a couple of choices here.

Buy the car, insure it (use the previous owners address and your name, with consent) then just drive to the port ready for shipping (even if it is 3000 miles away) Then just let Customs deal with the title on export.
It all depends on how friendly the seller is.

Otherwise, do as we did it, just blag it! (NOT recommended) as we had a 5mph rear shunt in a bad ass area in Miami, had to pay the guy off!

Good luck, it's a great adventure!

Best Regards
D
Thanks Darren, I am thinking that I know deep down I will be OK. I would insure the car of course but the plates worries me. Maybe I could clone a UK registered car (plenty on the net) and then if stopped supply UK details for that vehicle. A texan police officer will more than likley let me off if I provide a montage of UK insurance / titles / documents to them...... As long as I have insurance I am sure I'd be let off any offence pretty quickly - It would all add to the experience! Orange suits me anyway!
We were looking into shipping the Avi to the states for the Canonball Run
and all we had to do was advise the UK insurer and they would cover it
for USA use.

Could you not do the same thing? Ie, even though the car is in the USA,
get it insured over here (on its chassis number) and then you should
be covered to drive it as if it was a British registered car?

Just a thought, but Andy Westerman would be the best person to speak to.

Andy did get nicked by the Police, but I think thats because he was doing
*slightly* more then 55mph... :wink:
Hi Chris,

I wouldn't worry too much about the plates, the car itself will be a magnet for attention. We never got stopped on Massachusett's plates in New York state, Columbia, or Florida.

I like Claire's idea of UK insurance, it's worth a call. Big Grin

Can't comment on "cloning" :?

Best Regards
D
Thanks Claire and Darren, the original owner kept the plates I believe - I will check - i think i'll be ok if i have the old ones on it. As long as its insured I think I will be fine. I tried UK insurers but they wont insure it until it's on UK soil. I have found a US insurer but they want a ridiculous amounts of paperwork. Still I have 3 days to work it out Smile Thanks again.

Chris