The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Car before license?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I wonna do my test in my D when I get it so can I get one before I get my license and do my test/get a provisional license?

Thanks in advance
with the poor visibility and no power sterring you could end up damaging your chances of passing over looking coolTongue I suggest using a modern car. Just my $0.02
Flux Capacitor Wrote:I wonna do my test in my D when I get it so can I get one before I get my license and do my test/get a provisional license?

Thanks in advance

Just a thought (might be wrong though)... Isn't a test vehicle suppose to have dual controls??
You don't have to have a driving license to own a car, you just can't drive it on public roads..... As for doing your driving test in a D, I doubt your aloud to take a UK test in a LHD car. Assuming your 17 I doubt very much you will get insured on a D, especially as a learner!
OK, well I just thought it would be easier to learn to drive in my own car Smile

And I am actually only 13 but will be saving so I want to make sure I can do what I want when I get it...

So, when I am 18 you are saying I wont be able to get insured?
unless you can save many thousands extra to cover the insurance
i brought my delorean 1 year ago im 37 i have insurance for a iveco daily,mercedes sprinter,a left hand drive smart car,and a honda frv .i have been driving since i was 17 i have max no claims on all these vehicles,when i started ringing round for quote for the delorean 2 insurance companys would't insure me until i had been driving the delorean for a year first GO FIGURE so good luck on that mate hope you prove me wrong but insuring a 17 year old would be a task for challenge anneka... let us know how you get on

kind regards Tyson

ps challenge anneka was prob before your time ask your mum and dad
just out of intrest who is the youngest delorean driver in the club???thought i might be in with a chance but hay we all know who the oldest one is see below for a clue
[img][Image: DSC_0001-1.jpg]

yes your spot on i think its our very own dodgy motor allen[/img]
Hahaha Alen the great great grandfather :lol:

I'm nearly 22 so must be one of the youngest....? That chap from Busted that bought the explodaview car, hes only 19 or 20 isn't he?
dont you mean great great great great great great great great YOU GET THE IDEA grandfather. lol
Technically there is no reason why you couldn't do your test in a D. Tom Hartley Junior did his test in a brand new Ferrari spyder on his 17th birthday. (Motor traders son from Overseal Staffordshire) However his old man has a few million quid, so insurance isnt wasn't an issue.

Best start saving now :lol:

Good luck
D
I got mine at 18 years old. And can i get insured? Hell no. Unless I was rich! Im nearly 20 now and any quotes are sky high. I'm keeping at it though. The cars not going anywhere and is just getting better by the month so by the time I can get insured it should be in great shape!

Keep saving! It took me nearly 10years! :!:
Thats not good to hear Sad

I might buy a project car, not drive it on the road or anything so I wont have to pay anything or insure it, fix it up and by the time I am done I will try and insure it then, I will have another car until then of course!

EDIT: What about http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0 <-that insurence?

ANOTHER EDIT: Or this? http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1547
This has got me thinking about insurance now! I have just done an online quote with Adrian Flux following this link from your previous post: http://tinyurl.com/3de8t2

I am 23, been driving for 5 years, no claims etc and it has given me a price of £617.52 not fantastic but its what I would expect.

Go ahead, do an online quote (just alter your date of birth so it looks like your 17!) you do not need to give a phone number just your address and email

I think you would get insurance - but it will be bloody expensive! but things change and in 4 years time it could be very different, they will have probably raised the learner driver age by then anyway!

Don't let it put you off - keep saving and if your determined you will get your D :-)

Rick
Thats similar to what mine is. Insurance if your under 25 is a joke. I remember when I was 17 I had a 1.4 vw polo and that was about 1500 quid Shock The D is less than my previous car, corrado vr6, that was 800 and somthing. I have a friend who bought an Audi S3 a while back and then the insurance wanted 4k!!!! (he did have a load of points on his licence though :wink: )
Pages: 1 2 3