The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Urgent help please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know of respray companies that could respray my car for a economical price?

Thanks!
I hope you're not talking the DeLorean here mate!!! lol :lol:

A typical 'cheap' respray is £500-£1000, but its always a case of 'who you know'
with things like this. I guess it depends what sort of quality of job you want,
but generally a really good respray where the car has been prepared properly
before hand will run into the thousands.

If you start asking around though, theres normally "someone with a mate who
sprays cars" who'll do a quick and cheap job for a few hundred pounds.
hi

i have paid £600 before and thats what it was worth!.

thats for an MX5.....ok, but colour match (to door edge) etc was not perfect, paint was not flatted down that well.

Most as far as i know will be 2 pack.

However the flip paint type stuff is water based.

so i would say £600 for a cheap job where stone chips etc may not be filled properly and you will see them.
£1200 for pretty good but not perfect.
£2000 or so for a very good job.

hence why some slightly old cars with loads of panel scratches are 'written off' becasue its difficult to mach as from the factory.

how bas is you paint?....if the car is to sell could you do a 'mop' over it to tart it up?.
steve.s Wrote:hi

i have paid £600 before and thats what it was worth!.

thats for an MX5.....ok, but colour match (to door edge) etc was not perfect, paint was not flatted down that well.

Most as far as i know will be 2 pack.

However the flip paint type stuff is water based.

so i would say £600 for a cheap job where stone chips etc may not be filled properly and you will see them.
£1200 for pretty good but not perfect.
£2000 or so for a very good job.

hence why some slightly old cars with loads of panel scratches are 'written off' becasue its difficult to mach as from the factory.

how bas is you paint?....if the car is to sell could you do a 'mop' over it to tart it up?.

Is the respray the full car? The car need quite a bit of spraying and I want cheapest option possible since I planned to sell the car this week.... annoying accidents happens in the wrong time!!! :evil:
Hi steve,

Just be cautious, a cheap respray will show and as you plan to sell,
can reduce the cars value.

Best Regards
D
Hi

yes the respray was for the whole car.

now unless your cars paint is very bad....if you are selling it may be worth just a minor bit of spraying plus a polish over...ie mop.

the general rule of thumb...if there is a scratch and you wet your finger and rub over it...if it dissappears for a few moments then you will be able to remove it.

if it does not...it is too deep for a mop etc. a body shop will use a very fine sandpaper...yes wet!, then a Farecla G10 or G3, and a final polish, you would be surpised how beeter it may be, and removes faded paint (such as vauxhall red-pink!)

you have to ask..is it worth spending on a respray, as you will have to receover all the money when you sell, most of the time you would not get it back.

it may be that it will be cheaper to clean up, ebay it perhaps or if not book it in to a trade type local auction (search UK car auctions in yahoo)
you may get bottom trade, but could still be more thanvalue minus respray minus selling costs.
remember autotrader is about £40 a time, so 3 or 4 and thats another £160 gone, + the tax to keep on the road.

hope this helps.

i buy and sell a few cars, and it is very difficult to find paint shops that do a good job for cheap, as always you get what you pay for.

you could go for a self prep, but that means you mask everything, sand down, fill stone chips, sand again, fix any damage..thats where all the labour is.
steve.s Wrote:Hi

yes the respray was for the whole car.

now unless your cars paint is very bad....if you are selling it may be worth just a minor bit of spraying plus a polish over...ie mop.

the general rule of thumb...if there is a scratch and you wet your finger and rub over it...if it dissappears for a few moments then you will be able to remove it.

if it does not...it is too deep for a mop etc. a body shop will use a very fine sandpaper...yes wet!, then a Farecla G10 or G3, and a final polish, you would be surpised how beeter it may be, and removes faded paint (such as vauxhall red-pink!)

you have to ask..is it worth spending on a respray, as you will have to receover all the money when you sell, most of the time you would not get it back.

it may be that it will be cheaper to clean up, ebay it perhaps or if not book it in to a trade type local auction (search UK car auctions in yahoo)
you may get bottom trade, but could still be more thanvalue minus respray minus selling costs.
remember autotrader is about £40 a time, so 3 or 4 and thats another £160 gone, + the tax to keep on the road.

hope this helps.

i buy and sell a few cars, and it is very difficult to find paint shops that do a good job for cheap, as always you get what you pay for.

you could go for a self prep, but that means you mask everything, sand down, fill stone chips, sand again, fix any damage..thats where all the labour is.

Well said Steve, some good advice. Big Grin

I'd say if the respray cost exceeds 25% of the sale value of the car, then don't bother.

Regards
D