The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: DST Flux Cap DIY chasing lights repair...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
DST Flux Capacitor Techno Info.....
Case of the backward Flux

I received my DST Flux COA #309 a while back and I must say.....Yep they cloned it. Shock How does that saying go...."Copying one's work is the greatest form of flattery!!" Big Grin

It is not what I originally designed for them to market but .....Gee.... Whiz.... I..I.... Oh yeah, never mind :roll: that's a whole other story! :wink:

My DST Flux also came with reverse chasing lights. In my opinion, this is wrong. The lights should be chasing inward from the relays towards the strobe light center, not reverse. If this bothers you I have a solutions. If you can handle a philips screw driver and a soldering iron, then you can fix the issue by swapping two small wires located behind the interior board.

Here is my step by step instructions on how to fix it....."BUT" ....Beware, I suggest you "Do Not" change this feature if you want your Flux to remain a true MIB collectible.

Warning.... Do not attempt to do this with a soldering gun. You must use a low wattage soldering iron.

First, make sure to remove the batteries from your unit. Now open the enclosure door. Locate and remove the four screws holding the interior board in place; two on top and two at the bottom. Now carefully remove the interior board and flip it over while still keeping it inside the enclosure. You will see three thin circuit boards that form the "Y" pattern. The circuit board that makes up the bottom "Y" is the board you will be working on. Look at the board closely. You will see three transistors mounted to the circuit board along with three white cables. One cable per transistor. I want you to mark each cable with a black sharpie. The top upper cable mark with one dash, the second or middle cable leave alone. The third bottom cable mark with three dashes. Now carefully unsolder the top transistor cable marked dash one, then the bottom cable marked dash three. Now your going to reverse what you just unsoldered and re-solder it like this...Solder/place cable dash one at the bottom transistor and solder/place dash three at the transistor located on top of the circuit board. Test your work by carefully flipping the interior board back into place of the enclosure but, do not secure into place just yet. Install your three "AA" batteries into your Flux battery compartment, turn the power switch knob a 1/4 inch clockwise to on and stop. You should see your chasers fluxing slowly from the relays inward towards the center strobe. If yes, give yourself a big "That-A-Boy!!" Now install the four interior board screws and you're good to go!!

If you wish to see an illustration of the DST interior board repair. Go to my new " forum at: www.bfcoulombe.com

Also, coming soon from Coulombe Ent..... Geek's World II Techno Wrap 8)

Good Luck!