The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: 2572 exit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All,

Though I intended to visit DOC EuroTec 2008, all bookings made, 2572 and a certain road over here decided otherwise.
Ed told me the wrong kind of rear tires (too hard tread), cold weather and a frozen pice of road marking, made the car skid 180° and flatten a lamppost. In the process the body and driver's side door were crushed.

Insurance called it a total and Ed Uding now is the "proud" owner of the wreck. Nobody got hurt, so this is proof of the protective quality of our car. In a Golf or an Opel I would have been in a somewhat very tight position.

End of the month I am off to the US to pick up a new (well....) D and drive it a bit around before going to DCS 2008. After the show the car is going to be shipped to Holland.

Quote of the current owner's wife when she heard my total mileage in the US (some 4500) "you're totally crazy!"
Keep your fingers crossed to help me bring this car safely home.

Welmoed.

bozzzydmc

Hi Welmoed

Really sorry to hear of your bad news, very pleased you got out safe though !

Would you or have you got any pictures to post of your poor car, it sounds like a heck of a bang you had there... bet your gutted ...

All the very best

Mike

NickT

So sorry to hear your news, but you are in one piece and that is the main thing.

It is easy to repair bits of steel and plastic compared to flesh and bones.

Chin up, you will get another D Big Grin

NickT

ps Hope you will still come to EuroTech !
Some pictures of the directly visible damage (first impression was "hmmm, that's going to be a new door"):
[Image: D-schade1w.jpg]
[Image: D-schade3w.jpg]
The 'nose' of the car points in the direction we came from:
[Image: D-schade6w.jpg]

But then we same what has happened underneath ("Oh boy, that's going to be expensive!"):
Floor under the driver's seat cracked, emergency brake mount no longer horizontally:
[Image: D-schade9w.jpg]
Floor ripped apart from B post (light grey area is garage floor):
[Image: D-schade10w.jpg]
Wooden panel behinds seats crushed absorbing collision force:
[Image: D-schade11w.jpg]
B post torn and ripped:
[Image: D-schade12w.jpg]
Body at safety belt nut ripped apart and torn at various places:
[Image: D-schade13w.jpg]
I have no picture of the damage to the roof panel, but Ed notied that the glued panel has been ripped of the body at the driver's side.
Sorry to hear about the accident. Do you know if Ed will repair/replace the pontoon/fibreglass etc or part the car out?

Which kind of Clifford did you have fitted to that car?
Is your new car also a black interiored Auto?
Thats horrible to see Shock

I hope Ed is going to rebuild it and not break it for parts?
So sorry to see and read your bad news Welmoed, glad your all OK though, thats the important thing.
Chris
Sorry to hear about the accident - could have been a lot worse.
Surely the fiberglass body can be repaired, hope so, shame to see it parted out. Sad
What tyres did you have on the rear out of curiosity...?

Oh ye, enjoy the road trip Big Grin
Stu
christ i bet that hurt, but glad your safe mate.
try and make it to eurotech next year and you can tell uncle TT all about it over a cup of tea Smile TT
Hi Welmoed, sorry to hear of the death of 2572, it was always a really tidy car. I think you're lucky to have had the accident at home and not in the UK - that looks like one of those "safety" posts that are designed to collapse, unlike the solid ones we have here which claim many lives every year.
Welmoed

Sorry to hear and see 2572, glad that you are ok.

I did enjoy my trip in her at Eurotec 2007.

Speck to you at DCS 2008
Hi

that looks perfectly repairable, the chassis i assume was unbent.

so really a fibreglass repair, etc, new door ...i would say probably cheaper than buying a rebuild job from the U, where you need to repair many things.

insurance would write it off due to the car it is ie a door from the us $1000-1500 etc, but we all know how things can be done cheaper.

like wait for a s/h door, maybe even pjgrady might have a part of body tub in the us. the car was designed to be repaired in sections anyway.
Really sorry to hear of your bad news.

do all you owners worry about taking your pride and joys out on the roads. i mean what if some idiot crashes into the back of you at a round about. would an insurance company just right your car off like they have with Welmoed?
mechanical parts seem to be easy to come across but how hard is it to find body parts and repair accident damage on a delorean?
are the body panals and tub rare or just very expensive?

i hear that in america they are going to start building the cars again.
that must be good news for everyone, as every part will have to be made again, as all the parts left over from the factory will not last forever?

Andy
yes sorry about the bad news, good job the D's are well built.

the panels are fairly ok to come by, the tub is near impossible.

however, it can be repaired with normal fibreglass repair techniques.

its a shame the tub moulds still around cannot be made to work again, thereby making repair pieces.
When DMCH make these new ones, what are they going to use for the tubs?
Pages: 1 2