The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: roadworthy bttf conversion?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all =]

I'm Dan and i'm pretty much brand new here Smile

I don't own a D at the mo, (in fact, i'm just 17) but it has been my dream car consistently for the last eight years or so, ever since I first saw the BTTF films !

My target is to somehow get my loving hands on one by the time I'm 25 at least, and I intend to save up the 20 grand or so that i'l need in anticipation of that wonderful day xD

Anyway, I have been looking at the BTTF conversions some people have done to their cars and I'm in two minds about whether I'd ever want to do that to mine.

I wondered how easy it is to build it so that the car is still road legal, and how much trouble you need to go through to ensure it all safe and okay?

(I apologize if there's a thread about this elsewhere, I did search! Smile)

Thanks alot guys, lovely community you have here =]
The kits I've seen (especially the PJ ones) are all road legal - whether it's "safe" is another thing (in your own mind).

Personally I love the idea but doubt I'd ever do it as the extra weight would just annoy me :p
0dan1 Wrote:Hi all =]

I'm Dan and i'm pretty much brand new here Smile

I don't own a D at the mo, (in fact, i'm just 17) but it has been my dream car consistently for the last eight years or so...

Good to have you on board Dan. Is there a particular type of DeLorean you prefer? Manual, automatic? Grey interior, black interior? Big Grin

Best wishes,

Phil
I think i'd prefer manual over automatic
but the colour of the interior dosn't bother me at all, might prefer grey, but i think it would depend on the quality instead Smile
I'd rather not have the petrol cap on the bonnet, but i do like the grooves.

I don't know enough about the manufacture years to say which is which =P

Thanks! Does anyone know approximately how much the bttf Pj Grady kit costs? and does it permanently change the car (drill holes etc)?
off the top of my head between 3-5k i think, im sure il be corrected, one day il get it right lol TT
bttf kits are usually made so that they dont cause damage to car now if i remember right
thanks for filling me in guys Smile
IMO The best is to get the car first... drive it and know it well for maybe 2-3 months, before making decision for purchasing BTTF kits...

As by the time, you may have changed your mind and would prefer to spend the money on something else (e.g. Restoration? Turbo? Exhaust? or even another daily driver car! :wink: ...etc)
if you search there are a few sites on building the props yourself.

the area i have not found much on is the rear exhaust dimensions.

technically you could cut these yourself...and weld etc.
I have one of PJ Gradys BTTF 2 kits on my Delorean and it is fantastic, it has done over 10,000 miles with it on, mainly up and down the motorways and it hangs on with no problems whatsoever. In fact I may even go as far as to say its the most reliable bit on the car Big Grin . The only downsides are that you lose the rear visibility completely and so added with the fact its LHD you need to be really alert when changing lanes and negotiating around town in it. I get 160 miles from a full tank so its not too much weight to be carrying around compared to a normal one (I think i used to get 170 miles).

Access to the engine is only slightly awkward, I have the later kit which is hinged at the back so once you undo 2 bolts it swings up as the normal rear panel does.

All in all I'd say it was great fun, it does take away driving enjoyment a bit as the car does feel slightly heavier and you cant see much out if it so you lose that fun factor, but it is made up for with the reaction it gets (which you'd get from a standard delorean anyway)

Getting it MoT'd gets mixed views, one garage said theyd mot it if they ignored the fact that the kit was there, another garage did it with no problems saying it had no sharp edges etc. I did some work with the London transport police and they loved it, they said it was not problemetic from their point of view and so thats my excuse if anyone asks.

One novel point is if it overheats it blows steam out of the rear funnels which gets everyone excited! I know Chris Nicholson at PJ Grady says he wont build anymore kits as it took 6 months for him to build mine but you never know! Good luck with it and just ask if you have any questions.
hi

i wll back chris up on this one as my car is the same for a full back to the future kit with all gismo working like mine,chris,keith you will not get any change out of about ten to 14 grand as i have just started to make mine work of remote which is the most expensive thing i,m doing at the moment but please feel free to ask me for any info i can help with
The thing I wish to buy is a "stick on, peel off" BTTF kit that I could use for shows.... and take off, put it in the other car's boot, and drive home.
i look into it for you in the future .......... :lol: