The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Did all cars get a number plate before being shipped?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All.

Can anyone tell me if all of our cars were given a number plate before being shipped to the US?

I know my own car was pre-tested at the factory, and was shipped to Olsen Engineering in California for emissions testing. As such it had its MMG number plate already assigned.

The car was driven for many years in the US on the original plate before the then owner registered is a BAKNTYM, shame I can't legally use that Sad

John C
DOC 19/19a : 'Boeing' : #0737
Sorry to dissapoint you but the answer is NO. most of them were never registered in the UK and so did not receive UK plates, There were a few with Irish Reg numbers , and maybe a few Brit plates but youll have to register it and take pot luck with what you get and maybe change it later :wink:
[Image: DSC00798.jpg]
Above is the Illinois plate when mine was registered in the US ,,
Hi John,

I'm not aware of any other DeLoreans being registered prior to them being sent to the US. It wouldn't make sense cost wise, and may even have caused issues when the cars got to the US and had already been registered in a different country (i.e. they wouldn't be 'new').

I can only guess that your car is slightly special in that it was used at Olsen Engineering for the US EPA emissions testing, so there may have been a need to get that car registered in the UK prior to it being shipped over for testing? I don't know what the mileage on the car was, but could it be possible that the car had been registered and used/tested in the UK before it went to Olsen for the emissions tests (e.g. to see how the emissions were performing after some use)?

Interesting......

Darren